1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for the X and Y components of a Vector

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    1. A vector is 40.0 m long and makes an angle of 50.0° counterclockwise from the y-axis (on the side of the -x-axis). What are the x- and y-components of this vector?

2. Relevant equations
    Sin = opp/hyp
    Cos = adj/hyp

3. I tried solving for the x and y components of the vector by taking the -cos(50.0) 40.0m and came up with this= x-component: -25.7 and for the y component I took the sin (50.0) 40.0 m and came up with this = y-component: 30.6 m. However, these answers aren't correct and I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Could someone please explain exactly what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Imagine the Cartesian grid, with its x- and y-axis stretching to infinity. Imagine an arrow going off at 50 degrees to the y-axis. Then, imagine a line going from the end of the arrow to the y-axis. Do you see why the x-component isn't -40cos(50)?

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    I drew out the vector in the second quadrant which means the x component would be negative and the y component would be positive right? I'm sorry, but I do not understand what I'm doing wrong.

5. Aug 30, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Note the right triangle in your drawing, formed by the vector, the y-axis, and the line from the end of the vector to the y-axis. The horizontal part--the leg from the y-axis to the vector--is the "opposite" side from the 50-degree angle, so its length would be 40sin(50). It also represents the distance from the x=0.

6. Aug 30, 2009 #5
    I am still confused, I did what you're saying for the y-component. So the 40 sin(50) would be the x component? I thought only cosine could be used to find the x component and sin for the y component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook