Solving for x: "1/2*log(5)(x^2-1)=1/4+1/2log(5)(x-1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter parabol
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
parabol
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1/2*log(5)(x^2-1)=1/4+1/2log(5)(x-1)

I have put the base to the log in the first set of brackets following log.

The question is simply solve for x the equation

The Attempt at a Solution



I firstly moved the logs onto the smae side and then multiplied both sides by1/2 (not shown) thus giving

log(5)(x^2-1)-log(5)(x-1)=1/2

log(5)((x^2-1)/(x-1))=1/2

Am i right in the saying the follwoing is the next step?

(x2-1)/(x-1)=5^(1/2)

If I am then can someone please help me understand how I am supposed to simplify the equaiton down to give a single x.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Assuming that log(5) is log5, that is right. How can you rewrite
[tex]\frac{x^2-1} {x-1}[/tex]

specifically the numerator?
 
That was exactly what I meant with regards to the base of the log.

I'm sorry I don't follow. I think I am looking to hard into this problem as I can see no way of simplifying (x2-1)/(x-1)
 
You have
[tex]\frac{x^2- 1}{x- 1}= \sqrt{5}[/tex]

What Bohrok is suggesting is that you factor the numerator. There is a simple cancelation.
 
All sorted now.

Thanks very much for the sanity checks with this.