Solving for x in 10 (1-cos^2 x) = 1 - 3 sinx

• Thread starter Cugglebear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation 10(1-cos^2x)=1-3sinx and its solution for the variable x. The purpose of solving for x is to find its value(s) and use them for predictions or related problems. The steps involved in solving for x include expanding, simplifying, factoring, and using quadratic formula or trigonometric identities. Tips for solving this type of equation include careful simplification, using trigonometric identities, factoring, and checking for extraneous solutions.
Cugglebear
hello, can someone help me with this problem: 10 (1-cos^2 x) = 1 - 3 sin x
how can you simply solve that? thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
is there a way you can write cos(x) in terms of sin(x)? hint sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1

then ask your self how would you solve 0 = 10y^2 -3y +1

Last edited:

Hello, sure I can help you with this problem! To solve for x, we first need to simplify the left side of the equation. We can use the identity cos^2 x = 1 - sin^2 x to rewrite the equation as 10 (sin^2 x) = 1 - 3 sin x. Next, we can move all terms to one side by subtracting 1 and 3 sin x from both sides, giving us 10 sin^2 x + 3 sin x - 1 = 0. This is now a quadratic equation in terms of sin x, so we can solve for sin x using the quadratic formula. Once we have the value of sin x, we can use the inverse sine function to find the value of x. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the equation being solved?

The equation being solved is 10(1-cos^2x)=1-3sinx

What is the variable being solved for?

The variable being solved for is x.

What is the purpose of solving for x in this equation?

The purpose of solving for x is to find the value(s) of x that satisfy the equation, which can then be used to make predictions or solve related problems.

What are the steps involved in solving for x?

The steps involved in solving for x are: expanding the cosine term, simplifying the equation, factoring, and then using the quadratic formula or trigonometric identities to solve for x.

What are some tips for solving this type of equation?

Some tips for solving this type of equation are: carefully expanding and simplifying the equation, using trigonometric identities to simplify, factoring, and checking for extraneous solutions.