Solving for x in (x + 1×10⁻⁸)(x) = 1.0×10⁻¹⁴

  • Thread starter Thread starter stressedout
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
stressedout
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a mathematical problem coming from chemistry (dealing with pH). I've set everything up but can't do the math, I need the math steps to be shown to me.

How do you solve for x in this equation?
(x + 1*10^-8) (x) = 1.0*10^-14

x should be equal to 9.5 x 10^-8, but what steps do you take to get this value? I have tried this problem for a while and keep getting stuck because there are 2 x's on the left side of the equation. I don't know where to begin anymore or what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
(x + 1*10^-8) (x) = 1.0*10^-14
x^2 + 1*10^-8x=1*10^-14
x^2 + 1*10^-8x - 1*10^-14 =0

do you know quatratic formulas?
 
Sorry Integral, I posted and about 10 minutes later I thought I posted in the wrong section so I edited my post and decided maybe I should be posting my question here instead. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction for the solution (I looked at the other thread).

Thanks vincentchan, yes, I know the quadratic formula.
- b +/- sqrt b^2 - 4(a)(c) over 2a
I tried this at one point, but got confused and thought it was wrong. I'll try it again.