Solving for Zeros in Polynomials of Higher Degree

In summary, the purpose of breaking up the term ##27\left(x+1\right)\left(x-\frac{4}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)## into smaller factors such as ##\left(x+1\right)\left(3x-4\right)\left(3x-i\right)\left(3x+i\right)## was to make it easier to see the zeros (roots) of the function. By writing the factors in the form (x - r), it becomes clearer what the zeros are. Although the factor ##27x^2+3## can be disregarded when talking about the zeros,
opus
Gold Member
Please see the attached image which is presented in my text. This is the end step after using the Rational Zeros Theorem to find possible rational zeros, testing by synthetic division, and then factoring.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 1.52.20 PM.png

What I don't understand here is that we have the term
##27\left(x+1\right)\left(x-\frac{4}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)##

This the 27 is broken up into 3⋅3⋅3 and distributed to three of the four other factors to give us ##\left(x+1\right)\left(3x-4\right)\left(3x-i\right)\left(3x+i\right)##

The zero's are then found to be as listed.

Why was this necessary?
##27\left(x+1\right)\left(x-\frac{4}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)## gives us the exact same zeros as is. So what was the purpose of this step?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 1.52.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 1.52.20 PM.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,143
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is easier to see the zeros (roots) when the factors are of the form x - r, and any constants are taken out.

Likes opus
But in the first case, the factors are exactly the same except for the leading constant, so can't we just disregard the leading constant? Or even distribute it into a single factor?

opus said:
Please see the attached image which is presented in my text. This is the end step after using the Rational Zeros Theorem to find possible rational zeros, testing by synthetic division, and then factoring.

View attachment 227519

##27\left(x+1\right)\left(x-\frac{4}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)##

This the 27 is broken up into 3⋅3⋅3 and distributed to three of the four other factors to give us ##\left(x+1\right)\left(3x-4\right)\left(3x-i\right)\left(3x+i\right)##

Why was this necessary?
##27\left(x+1\right)\left(x-\frac{4}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)## gives us the exact same zeros as is. So what was the purpose of this step?
How do you factor ##g(x)\,?## It seems that ##g(x)## comes from somewhere with a factor ##27x^2+3## given. Now this has to be split, and the quadratic formula for it is a way to do it. Of course you can also guess solutions.

Likes opus
opus said:
In the above, I think you meant to write ##(x + 1)(3x - 4)(3x + i)(3x - i)##. As already stated, writing the factors in the form (x - r) makes it clearer exactly what the zeroes are.

As a side note, you can save yourself a lot of typing by using ( in place of \left and ) in place of \right. The LaTeX versions are useful if they enclose a "tall" expression, say with complicated fractions, but aren't needed for simpler expressions.
opus said:

Why was this necessary?

Likes opus
fresh_42 said:
How do you factor ##g(x)\,?## It seems that ##g(x)## comes from somewhere with a factor ##27x^2+3## given. Now this has to be split, and the quadratic formula for it is a way to do it. Of course you can also guess solutions.

Yes, so the ##27x^2+3## is from what was left after guessing possible zeros. Of course since it's now in quadratic from, we can go on to factor. Now the ##27x^2+3## factors into the ##27\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)##
And now, the factors are stated, and the zeros are clear. So why continue? Can't we just disregard the 27 when we're talking about the zeros now?

Mark44 said:
In the above, I think you meant to write ##(x + 1)(3x - 4)(3x + i)(3x - i)##. As already stated, writing the factors in the form (x - r) makes it clearer exactly what the zeroes are.

As a side note, you can save yourself a lot of typing by using ( in place of \left and ) in place of \right. The LaTeX versions are useful if they enclose a "tall" expression, say with complicated fractions, but aren't needed for simpler expressions.

That statement was just copied from the second line from the top in the picture. The 27 is leading the four factors that correspond to the zeros.
Thank you for the parentheses tip! I always mess something up with the LaTeX so I have to sift through and find it. That'll make things much easier.

opus said:
And now, the factors are stated, and the zeros are clear. So why continue?
Because the problem is asking for the factorization.
We can then write the factorization using the result from synthetic division.
In your image the two lines above the part with "Actual zeroes" are the factorizations -- the first with all factors in the form (x - r) and the second with all factors using integer coefficients in all factors.

Likes opus
opus said:
Yes, so the ##27x^2+3## is from what was left after guessing possible zeros. Of course since it's now in quadratic from, we can go on to factor. Now the ##27x^2+3## factors into the ##27\left(x+\frac{i}{3}\right)\left(x-\frac{i}{3}\right)##
And now, the factors are stated, and the zeros are clear. So why continue? Can't we just disregard the 27 when we're talking about the zeros now?
It's a matter of taste. I first misunderstood your question, as I thought you didn't see what the small calculation on the right is for. I personally favor the expression ##g(x)=27 \ldots ## so that the zeroes can directly be seen, but this is as if we debated whether ##g'(x)## has to be preferred or ##\frac{d}{dx}g(x)##. It depends on what it is used for, or what an author favors. There is no deeper reason behind that.

Likes opus
So is it fair to say that in both cases, we can easily find the zeros, but we need to distribute that 27 into the rest of the expression for the expression to be factored?

opus said:
So is it fair to say that in both cases, we can easily find the zeros, but we need to distribute that 27 into the rest of the expression for the expression to be factored?
Not really. Both expressions are factored. You can always only factor up to units and since we are over the complex numbers, up to any number from ##\mathbb{C}-\{0\}##. ##g(x)=36 \cdot i \cdot \ldots## would also be a valid decomposition. This in mind it makes sense, and which is why I prefer this notation, to write ##g(x)=27\cdot h(x)## with a monic polynomial ##h(x)##.

Likes StoneTemplePython and opus
General opinion: this issue is a quibble - for practical purposes, it really doesn't matter.

Thanks guys.
mathman said:
General opinion: this issue is a quibble - for practical purposes, it really doesn't matter.
I don't see anything quibble about discussing two different forms of the same solution. Especially since the text deliberately made note of distributing the coefficient throughout the other factors.

opus said:
Thanks guys.

I don't see anything quibble about discussing two different forms of the same solution. Especially since the text deliberately made note of distributing the coefficient throughout the other factors.

You would be wise to put in the effort to try and write every polynomial as ##g(x) = k \dot h(x)## as Fresh suggested -- focusing on the monic polynomial is key. The fact that ##g(x)## and ##h(x)## have the same roots is important -- if you don't understand why, it's worth dwelling on it and asking more questions. This idea of "distributing the coefficients" to other factors seems odd and a bit like a waste of time. It's ok to follow the text but you should know that sometime authors make mountains out of molehills. Understanding and embracing monic polynomials would be the takeaway from the thread here.

1. What are zeros in polynomials of higher degree?

Zeros, also known as roots, are values of the variable that make the polynomial equation equal to zero. In other words, they are the values of x that satisfy the polynomial equation.

2. How do you solve for zeros in polynomials of higher degree?

To solve for zeros in polynomials of higher degree, we can use the factoring method, graphing method, or the use of the quadratic formula for polynomials with degree 2 or higher. These methods involve finding the values of x that make the polynomial equation equal to zero.

3. Why is it important to solve for zeros in polynomials of higher degree?

Finding the zeros of a polynomial equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of the polynomial function. It also helps us solve real-world problems and make predictions based on the polynomial equation.

4. Can a polynomial of higher degree have more than one zero?

Yes, a polynomial of higher degree can have more than one zero. In fact, the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that a polynomial of degree n can have at most n distinct zeros.

5. Is there a way to find the exact value of zeros in polynomials of higher degree?

It is not always possible to find the exact value of zeros in polynomials of higher degree. In some cases, the zeros may be irrational or complex numbers, which cannot be expressed in exact form. In these cases, we can use approximation methods or technology to find a decimal approximation of the zeros.