Solving [h'(x)]^2 - h(x)·h''(x) + 1 = 0 for a hanging rope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Semo727
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hello!
I tried to prove, that ideal rope (see picture in attachment) has a shape of the function ch[x]. I finished with this equation

[tex][h'(x)]^2-h(x)\cdot h''(x)+1=0[/tex]

Yes, when you try function h[x]=ch[x], you get 0 on the left side, but I have no clue how to solve this equation (find the solution without knowing the solution:rolleyes:). Even Mathematica has some problems, if I set boundary conditions. Could you please write how to solve this DE (providing it isn't too complicated, because I don't know much about solving nonlinear DE)
 
Attachments
  • rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guess and check is the only guaranteed way of finding a solution to any DE. You might be able to use a series expansion here (guess solution of form h(x) = sum(C_n * x^n) and plug in, but I'm not sure. That method is guaranteed to work for linear equations, non-linear it can get tricky.