Solving Hamiltonian H=αL⋅S for L⋅S |(ls)jjz>

  • Thread starter Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
atomicpedals
Messages
202
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



Consider the Hamiltonian
[tex]H=\alpha L \cdot S[/tex]
Where L denotes an angular momentum with quantum number l and S a spin with quantum number s.

Work out
[tex]L \cdot S |(ls)jj_{z}>[/tex]
direction. Hint: expand (L+S)2 and go from there.

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm highly tempted to start with
[tex]L \cdot S |(ls)jj_{z}> = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2}[j(j+1)-l(l+1)-3/4]|(ls)jj_{z}>[/tex]
except I'm not sure that really buys me much. If I'm on the right track, how do I then handle the ket?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so my first mistake was probably in my first crack at the solution; so I should probably have started with
[tex]L \cdot S |(ls)jj_{z}> = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2}[j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)]|(ls)jj_{z}>[/tex]
However, my initial self doubts still stand though.
 
That's fine so far. Why are you doubting it's right?

(If you want to derive it, use the hint.)
 
I'm doubting it almost out of habit, lately I've started down the wrong path more often than not.

So, given that I've actually got this one going correctly, what do I do with the information in the ket?

And as a more in-depth question; what does the alpha term do to things when I want to calculate the energy (full disclosure: the follow up question actually is to calculate the energy spectrum, where I would tend to want to start from the TISE)?
 
Last edited:
atomicpedals said:
I'm doubting it almost out of habit, lately I've started down the wrong path more often than not.

So, given that I've actually got this one going correctly, what do I do with the information in the ket?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

And as a more in-depth question; what does the alpha term do to things when I want to calculate the energy (full disclosure: the follow up question actually is to calculate the energy spectrum, where I would tend to want to start from the TISE)?
It's just a multiplicative constant.