1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are S, L and J for the following states...?

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are S, L and J for the following states: ##^1S_0, ^2D_{5/2} ^5F_1, ^3F_4##

2. Relevant Equations
    The superscript is defined as: 2S + 1
    The subscript is defined as: J = L + S
    The letter denotes the angular momentum number (s, p, d, f...) starting at s = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##^1S_0##: 2S + 1 = 1, S = 0 and S + L = 0, 0 + L = 0, L = 0. This makes me feel warm and fuzzy because the angular momentum quantum number does equal S, also the because we're in the S orbital with two electrons, electron spin must sum to zero because of the Pauli exclusion principle, which it does.

...The second problem also works out nicely... Here is the 3rd...
    ##^5F_1##: 2s+1 = 5, s = 2 and 2 + L = 1, L = -1. I don't think I'm violating the exclusion principle here with all the possible orbits in F, but why doesn't my calculated value for L correspond to the given value of F = 3? Also, I am aware that L most range anywhere from 0 to (n-1) and cannot be negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2
    Oops, Looks like I messed up the problem statement. The states are:

##^1s_0, ^2D_{5/2},^5F_1, ^3F_4##

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are generally more than one possible values for J for a given L and S. Don't rely on the potentially misleading equation J = L+S to determine L or S. Just rely on the indices inscribed in the state notation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted