Solving Inhomogeneous Wave PDE with Separation of Variables on (0,pi)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jacoleen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pde Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
jacoleen
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Problem:

Use separation of variables to solve
utt = uxx-u;
u(x, 0) = 0;
ut(x, 0) = 1 + cos3 x;
on the interval (0, pi), with the homogeneous Dirichlet boundary conditions.

Question:

I know how to use separation of variables, but can`t figure out what to do with the u in the equation utt=uxx=u..any hints please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind what I wrote, you can solve it by separation:

u(x,t)= T(t)X(x)

u_tt = T''(t) X(x) = T(t)X''(x)-TX
divide by XT and get T''/T= X''/X-1
one side depends on t the other side on x so both of them are constant.
 
oh wow, I can`t believe i didnt think of dong that..thanks! :D
 
one more question, when i separate my variables i get
X(x) = Ae(1-lamba2)1/2x + Be-(1-lamba2)1/2x
T(t) = Csin(lamba*t)+Dcos(lamba*t),
but when I solve it I get all my coefficients equal to zero..are these the right equations?