1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving initial velocity for falling object

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is dropped from a bridge that is 65 m high. A second stone is thrown downwards 2 seconds later. Both the stones are heard hitting the water at the same time. The speed of sound is a constant 343 m/s. What is the initial velocity of the second stone.

2. Relevant equations
    d=vi*t+1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    65=0+1/2(-9.8)(t)^2

I know t-2 is used for the time of the second stone. I don't know which equations to use to make them equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your Relevant equation should suffice.

What value did you get for the time of fall for the first stone? So what must be the time (numeric value) that the second stone has to make the complete journey?

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3
    5.2. Do I just sub it in to the second equation with t-2 and solve for initial velocity?

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure.

6. Feb 12, 2015 #5
    So the speed of sound is irrelevant?

7. Feb 12, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The sounds of hitting the water were heard at the same time. Did they hit the water at the same time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted