1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving non-linear frequency problem, NMR

1. Jan 12, 2007 #1
    Hi All;
    Long time reader, first time poster.
    Here's a tricky one. I have a solid state NMR set of data in 3D. Let's say the signal phases
    in the three dimensions are:
    exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_1)
    exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_2)
    exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_3)

given the information, one should be able to (in theory) determine A,B,C... however given the fact that there is a patently non-linear term this is non-trivial. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since A, B and C enter the same way in every equation, they cannot be separated.

4. Jan 12, 2007 #3
    sorry, I should have included the fact that there are coefficients in front of the unknowns ie.,
    one can write the coefficients as a 3*3 matrix which is singular.
    The frequencies in the phase are derived from Average Hamiltonian theory
    thanks for the interest!

ED: error

5. Jan 12, 2007 #4
    ps if someone can think of a transform or method for solution, then you will at the very least get an acknowledgement on a paper

6. Jan 12, 2007 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Still don't get it. Do the coefficients differ in the 3 eqns? Are they known?

It would help if you can make a more detailed and exact statement of the problem.

7. Jan 12, 2007 #6
    Here's what the phases amount to in terms of equations:

a*A+b*B*C+c*C
    d*A+e*B*C+f*C
    g*A+h*B*C+i*C

I would like to solve for A,B,C given the coefficients, which depend on the spin angular momentum quantum numbers of the transitions (r <-> c), as well as Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.
    In the mid nineties frydman introduced the shearing transformation whereby in 2d NMR one may remove the quadrupolar anisotropy ( term C) by essentially eliminating this from line 2 (indirect detected dimension, delta m \neq +/- 1) by multiplying line two by a multiple of line one (direct detected dimension, delta m = +/- 1).
    In the indirect dimension the frequency is thus a linear sum of the isotropic contributions, terms A, B.

ED: errors

hence the MO for doing 3d is to completely isolate the isotropic frequencies

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  8. Jan 12, 2007 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not worried about the non-linearity, but if your coefficient matrix is truly singular then i think you are hosed. Can you vary your experiment to get a matrix that's non-singular? (Well-conditioned is better yet!)

Can you get additional info some other way? My NMR knowledge is poor so I'll probably embarass myself with this question, but how about double-quantum coherence?

9. Jan 12, 2007 #8
    yes, 'hosed' is the right word for it. The underlying problem is the linear dependence of the C-G coefficients unfortunately. However I think you hit the nail viz more information and this is the tack I was taking. The second line is in fact double quantum (the third triple) and my thought was to lift the linear dependence by including third order effects on this non-symmetric transition (3/2<->-1/2), but then my elegant paper/experiment goes to hell. such is life I guess...

thanks for the advice!

10. Jan 12, 2007 #9

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's usually the way it goes. If it were easy someone would already have done it...

11. Jan 12, 2007 #10
    yeah, ain't physics grand :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?