1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solving non-linear second order ODE

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It will be great if someone could show me some options:
    I need to prove the following:

A particle of mass m is attracted toward a fixed point O (the origin) with a force proportional
    to its instantaneous distance from O raised to a positive integer power, i.e., according to the force
    law F (x) = −k(x^n) . (Note that n must be odd in order for F (x) to be an attractive force!) Suppose
    that, at time t = 0, the particle is released from rest at x = x0 . Show that the time T for the particle to reach O is given by the formula:
    T = C / ( (xo)^(n-1)/2 )

2. Relevant equations

Determine explicitly the coefficient C in terms of (i) the Beta function and (ii) Gamma functions

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried solving it manually using definite integrals and arrived at
    C = (m(n+1)/(2*K))^-1/2

but this looks nothing like the gamma or beta function
    also, I was unable to find a normal method to solve the 2nd order non linear ODE:
    x'' = (-k/m)x^n

because of the x^n... all common methods are give for just x or with some x'
    Also tried series expansion solution to the ODE... but the t was in several pieces and cannot put it together in the required form

Also tried using Emden-Fowler equation but arrived to a very similar value of C without any relation to the beta or gamma

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is fairly straightforward by use of the chain rule:

[tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{d}{dt}\dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d}{dx}\dot{x}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx}\dot{x}^2[/tex]

Which gives you a separable ODE:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx}\dot{x}^2=-\frac{k}{m}x^n[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook