Parabolic coordinates: express x,y and find kinetic energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter metgt4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coordinates
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
metgt4
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(ξ,η) in a plane are defined by η = (x2 + y2)1/2 - x and ξ = (x2 + y2)1/2 + x

Find x and y in terms of ξ and η. Show that the kinetic energy of a particle of mass m is:

T = (m/8)(ξ + η)(ξ'2/ξ + η'2/η)


The Attempt at a Solution



My attempt is scanned and appended in this post. I found x and y in terms of η and ξ, but am not sure where to go from there in order to find the kinetic energy in terms of the two. If somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Andrew
 

Attachments

  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, got it figured out. I went wrong in finding x and y as well.