1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations of a free hanging chain

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to find an equation for a free hanging chain of mass m and length L. The chain is hanging vertically downwards where x is measured vertically upwards from the free end of the chain and y is measured horizontally.

2. Relevant equations

I derived this differential equation for the chains motion,
    (1/g)(second derivative of y with respect to t) = (derivative of y with respect to x) + x(second derivative of y with respect to x)

Trial solution that was given is,
    y = u(x)cos(ωt) where x ⇒ ξ and ξ = √x and u(x) ⇒ s(ξ)

3. The attempt at a solution

By putting y into the equation above I get,
    -((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) where the ' means the derivative with respect to x
    I think its implied that -((ω^2)/g)s(ξ) = s'(ξ) + xs''(ξ) ... equation 1

After changing the variable to s(ξ) i'm suppose to get a Bessel's equation of order zero I think.
    so from the change of variables,

u(x) ⇒ s(ξ)
    s'(ξ) ⇒ u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x) right?
    and from quotient rule I got,
    s''(ξ) ⇒ u''(√x) = (u''(√x) - u''(√x)(1/√x)) / (4x)

plugging these into equation 1 I get,
    (x^2)s''(ξ) + x^(3/2)s'(ξ) + (((ω^2)x^2)/g)s(ξ) = 0
    but the bessel equation looks like
    (x^2)s''(ξ) + (x)s'(ξ) + constant(x^2)s(ξ) = 0 which has x instead of x^(3/2)?

Not sure what I did wrong?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It doesn't seem right to have a dy/dx term in your very first equation. I would have thought it should be the standard string vibration equation, except for a factor x in the tension term.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    On the question it actually gives you that equation, you have to derive it, and thats what it is

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For this to be the correct equation, I think you need to take x as increasing upward from the lower end of the string.

6. Mar 21, 2016 #5
    oh sorry, thats how I derived it but I wrote it wrong. x is measured from the free end of the chain upwards

7. Mar 21, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. To get the equation for s(ξ), you will need to start with -((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) and transform it to the equation for s(ξ) by using the definition ξ = √x. The chain rule for derivatives will be useful here.

8. Mar 21, 2016 #7
    Not sure I understand. Cause I thought the transformations of u(x) were basically saying u(x) = s(√x). So I took the derivative of both sides with respect to x and substituted u'(x) and u''(x) in

9. Mar 21, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In obtaining equation 1, it appears to me that you are simply replacing u'(x) by s'(ξ) and replacing u''(x) by s''(ξ).

Take a specific example. Suppose u(x) = sin(√x). So, with ξ = √x, you have s(ξ) = sin(ξ).
    What is u'(x)? What is s'(ξ)? Does u'(x) = s'(ξ)?

Note that you have claimed u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x). If you cancel u'(√x) from both sides, you are left with 1 = 1/(2√x).

10. Mar 21, 2016 #9
    u'(x) = cos(√x)/(2√x)
    s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dx)
    and ξ = √x so
    dξ/dx = d√x/dx = 1/(2√x) aren't they the same? or should I write
    s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dξ) = cos(ξ) with respect to ξ instead of x?

11. Mar 21, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I see where you're coming from. You are interpreting all primes as meaning derivative with respect to x. However, since s is considered a function of ξ, the notation s'(ξ) would normally denote the derivative of s with respect to ξ. So, in the example, s'(ξ) = cos(ξ).

What you need to do here is convert the differential equation involving u and x into a differential equation involving s and ξ. In the differential equation for s, derivatives should be with respect to ξ and the symbol x should not appear.

12. Mar 21, 2016 #11
    Figured it out, thanks man!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  13. Mar 21, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted