Oscillations of a free hanging chain

In summary: s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dξ) = cos(ξ) with respect to ξ instead of...s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dξ) = cos(ξ)
kregg34

Homework Statement

I am trying to find an equation for a free hanging chain of mass m and length L. The chain is hanging vertically downwards where x is measured vertically upwards from the free end of the chain and y is measured horizontally.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I derived this differential equation for the chains motion,
(1/g)(second derivative of y with respect to t) = (derivative of y with respect to x) + x(second derivative of y with respect to x)

Trial solution that was given is,
y = u(x)cos(ωt) where x ⇒ ξ and ξ = √x and u(x) ⇒ s(ξ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
By putting y into the equation above I get,
-((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) where the ' means the derivative with respect to x
I think its implied that -((ω^2)/g)s(ξ) = s'(ξ) + xs''(ξ) ... equation 1

After changing the variable to s(ξ) I'm suppose to get a Bessel's equation of order zero I think.
so from the change of variables,

u(x) ⇒ s(ξ)
s'(ξ) ⇒ u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x) right?
and from quotient rule I got,
s''(ξ) ⇒ u''(√x) = (u''(√x) - u''(√x)(1/√x)) / (4x)

plugging these into equation 1 I get,
(x^2)s''(ξ) + x^(3/2)s'(ξ) + (((ω^2)x^2)/g)s(ξ) = 0
but the bessel equation looks like
(x^2)s''(ξ) + (x)s'(ξ) + constant(x^2)s(ξ) = 0 which has x instead of x^(3/2)?

Not sure what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem right to have a dy/dx term in your very first equation. I would have thought it should be the standard string vibration equation, except for a factor x in the tension term.

haruspex said:
It doesn't seem right to have a dy/dx term in your very first equation. I would have thought it should be the standard string vibration equation, except for a factor x in the tension term.

On the question it actually gives you that equation, you have to derive it, and that's what it is

kregg34 said:
The chain is hanging vertically downwards where x is measured down

I derived this differential equation for the chains motion,
(1/g)(second derivative of y with respect to t) = (derivative of y with respect to x) + x(second derivative of y with respect to x)
For this to be the correct equation, I think you need to take x as increasing upward from the lower end of the string.

TSny said:
For this to be the correct equation, I think you need to take x as increasing upward from the lower end of the string.
oh sorry, that's how I derived it but I wrote it wrong. x is measured from the free end of the chain upwards

kregg34 said:
-((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) where the ' means the derivative with respect to x
No. To get the equation for s(ξ), you will need to start with -((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) and transform it to the equation for s(ξ) by using the definition ξ = √x. The chain rule for derivatives will be useful here.

TSny said:
No. To get the equation for s(ξ), you will need to start with -((ω^2)/g)u(x) = u'(x) + xu''(x) and transform it to the equation for s(ξ) by using the definition ξ = √x. The chain rule for derivatives will be useful here.

Not sure I understand. Cause I thought the transformations of u(x) were basically saying u(x) = s(√x). So I took the derivative of both sides with respect to x and substituted u'(x) and u''(x) in

kregg34 said:

In obtaining equation 1, it appears to me that you are simply replacing u'(x) by s'(ξ) and replacing u''(x) by s''(ξ).

Take a specific example. Suppose u(x) = sin(√x). So, with ξ = √x, you have s(ξ) = sin(ξ).
What is u'(x)? What is s'(ξ)? Does u'(x) = s'(ξ)?

u(x) ⇒ s(ξ)
s'(ξ) ⇒ u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x) right?
Note that you have claimed u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x). If you cancel u'(√x) from both sides, you are left with 1 = 1/(2√x).

TSny said:
In obtaining equation 1, it appears to me that you are simply replacing u'(x) by s'(ξ) and replacing u''(x) by s''(ξ).

Take a specific example. Suppose u(x) = sin(√x). So, with ξ = √x, you have s(ξ) = sin(ξ).
What is u'(x)? What is s'(ξ)? Does u'(x) = s'(ξ)?Note that you have claimed u'(√x) = (u'(√x))/(2√x). If you cancel u'(√x) from both sides, you are left with 1 = 1/(2√x).

u'(x) = cos(√x)/(2√x)
s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dx)
and ξ = √x so
dξ/dx = d√x/dx = 1/(2√x) aren't they the same? or should I write
s'(ξ) = cos(ξ) (dξ/dξ) = cos(ξ) with respect to ξ instead of x?

OK, I see where you're coming from. You are interpreting all primes as meaning derivative with respect to x. However, since s is considered a function of ξ, the notation s'(ξ) would normally denote the derivative of s with respect to ξ. So, in the example, s'(ξ) = cos(ξ).

What you need to do here is convert the differential equation involving u and x into a differential equation involving s and ξ. In the differential equation for s, derivatives should be with respect to ξ and the symbol x should not appear.

TSny said:
OK, I see where you're coming from. You are interpreting all primes as meaning derivative with respect to x. However, since s is considered a function of ξ, the notation s'(ξ) would normally denote the derivative of s with respect to ξ. So, in the example, s'(ξ) = cos(ξ).

What you need to do here is convert the differential equation involving u and x into a differential equation involving s and ξ. In the differential equation for s, derivatives should be with respect to ξ and the symbol x should not appear.

Figured it out, thanks man!

Last edited:
Good work!

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive back-and-forth movement or vibration around a central point or equilibrium position.

2. How does a free hanging chain oscillate?

A free hanging chain oscillates due to the force of gravity pulling down on the chain, causing it to swing back and forth.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of a free hanging chain?

The length, weight, and initial displacement of the chain can affect its oscillation. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. What is the period of oscillation for a free hanging chain?

The period of oscillation for a free hanging chain is the time it takes for one complete swing or cycle. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the chain and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the oscillation of a free hanging chain be modeled mathematically?

Yes, the oscillation of a free hanging chain can be modeled using equations of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. These mathematical models can accurately predict the behavior of the chain under different conditions.