Solving Power Problem: Do I Need Molex 4 Pin Square?

In summary, the conversation is about upgrading a computer and encountering a problem with the lack of a 12V 4-pin power cord. The person is wondering if they really need it and if they should upgrade their power supply. It is recommended to always upgrade the power supply when upgrading the motherboard and CPU to ensure proper wattage and connections.
MONSA
Hi There Please Anybody Than Can Help
I Am Upgrading Computer Running Into Problem
Mobo Msik9n Sli V2
Cpu Amd Athlon 64x2 4600
In The Procces I Found That I Need A 12 V 4 Pin Square Power Cord Which I Dont Have From My Psu However In The Mobo Istallation Manual It Says I Must Power The Cpu 4 Pin 12 V
Do I Really Need It ?
I Can Only Get Power To The Cooling Fans For About 2 Seconds And Nothing Boots??
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
If the installation manual says you need it you probably need it.

An extra 4 pin molex is sometimes needed to give power to the CPU or graphics card. If you're using a standard ATX power supply there should be a few extra connectors there.

MONSA said:
Do I Really Need It ?
Yes, you really do.
They changed the power supply specifications several years ago.
You need to upgrade to power supply to match the new mobo.

Always upgrade your PSU if you upgrade the motherboard and CPU, especially if the existing one doesn't have a 4pin connection.

You might also need a new PSU because it can't give your components the wattage they need in the first place.

Related to Solving Power Problem: Do I Need Molex 4 Pin Square?

What is a Molex 4 Pin Square?

A Molex 4 Pin Square is a type of power connector commonly used in computer hardware. It features four square pins that provide power to components such as fans, hard drives, and optical drives.

Why do I need a Molex 4 Pin Square?

You need a Molex 4 Pin Square if you are using components that require a 4 pin power connection, such as fans, hard drives, and optical drives. It is also commonly used to power LED strips, case fans, and other peripherals.

Can I use a different type of power connector instead of a Molex 4 Pin Square?

It is not recommended to use a different type of power connector instead of a Molex 4 Pin Square, as it may not provide the necessary power or could potentially damage your components. It is best to use the designated power connectors for each component.

How do I connect a Molex 4 Pin Square?

To connect a Molex 4 Pin Square, align the pins on the connector with the corresponding holes on the component and push until it clicks into place. Make sure to properly route the cable and secure it to prevent any potential hazards.

What should I do if I don't have enough Molex 4 Pin Square connectors?

If you do not have enough Molex 4 Pin Square connectors, you can use adapters or splitters to convert other types of power connectors into Molex 4 Pin Square connectors. However, make sure to check the power requirements of your components and ensure that the adapters or splitters can handle the necessary power load.