Solving problem in Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors

• Thread starter james snail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
I did this and arrived at correct results. Thank you for your suggestions.In summary, the exercise involves finding the components of a vector relative to a reference frame defined by two perpendicular base vectors, given their magnitudes. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the components can be calculated as 6 times the square root of 2, with four possible combinations of positive and negative signs. However, to achieve the correct results, the 144 magnitude of the vector in the previous exercise must be squared before using the Pythagorean theorem, resulting in a component of 72 times the square root of 2.
james snail

Homework Statement

Exercise 1.3, chapter 3: if ex and ey lie along perpendicular lines, and ex has a magnitude of 4 and ey has a magnitude of 6, what are the components of the vector relative to the reference frame defined by the base vectors ex and ey?

Homework Equations

this relates to preceding exercise 1.2 in which vector of magnitude 144 makes 45 degrees with each of two perpendicular lines. I solved this with pythagorean theorem coming up with component vectors 6 x square root of 2, (4 sets with differrng signs.)
also, per Hoffman, X + Y = V, and X= Vxtimesex, and Y = [V]ytimesey.

The Attempt at a Solution

since in 1.2 X and Y are each = 6 X square root of 2, I set Vxex = 6 X square root 2 thus 4ex = 6X square root 2. Answer ex = 3/2 square root of 2; similarly, ey = square root 2. This is incorrect as per Hoffmann, correct answers are + or - 18 X square root 2 and + or - 12 square root 2.
will be most grateful to be shown how Hoffmann got his correct answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very difficult to read. When you have x and X as variables, it's not a good idea to use X to indicate multiplication.

For subscripts, use [ sub] before and [ /sub] after the subscript (omit the leading spaces. For example, to get ey, I wrote e[ sub]y[ /sub], (again, omitting the leading spaces inside the brackets).

Also, welcome to Physics Forums!

james snail said:

Homework Statement

Exercise 1.3, chapter 3: if ex and ey lie along perpendicular lines, and ex has a magnitude of 4 and ey has a magnitude of 6, what are the components of the vector relative to the reference frame defined by the base vectors ex and ey?

Homework Equations

this relates to preceding exercise 1.2 in which vector of magnitude 144 makes 45 degrees with each of two perpendicular lines. I solved this with pythagorean theorem coming up with component vectors 6 x square root of 2, (4 sets with differrng signs.)
also, per Hoffman, X + Y = V, and X= Vxtimesex, and Y = [V]ytimesey.

The Attempt at a Solution

since in 1.2 X and Y are each = 6 X square root of 2, I set Vxex = 6 X square root 2 thus 4ex = 6X square root 2. Answer ex = 3/2 square root of 2; similarly, ey = square root 2. This is incorrect as per Hoffmann, correct answers are + or - 18 X square root 2 and + or - 12 square root 2.
will be most grateful to be shown how Hoffmann got his correct answers.

Since the given vector, of length 144, is at 45 degrees to the given basis vectors, its projection on each has length [itex]144 cos(45)= 72\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Since the length of [itex]e_x[/itex] is 4, that is [itex](72/4)\sqrt{2}= 18\sqrt{2}[/itex] times [itex]e_x[/itex]. Since the length of [itex]e_y[/itex] is 6, the projection on it is [itex](72/6)\sqrt{2}= 12\sqrt{2}[/itex] so the projection is [itex]12\sqrt{2}[/itex] times [itex]e_y[/itex].

You are taking [itex]4e_x[/itex] when it is given that [itex]e_x[/itex] already has length 4. Why are you multiplying by another 4? And what became of the 144 length of the vector itself.

rewriting per suggestions received;
exercise 1.3 of chapter 3: In Exercise 1.2 if ex and ey lie along nthe perpendicular lines, and ex has a magnitude of 4, and ey has a magnitude of 6, what are the components of the vector relative to the reference frame defined by the base vectors ex and ey?

o.k., this refers to previous exercise 1.2 in which vector of magnitude 144 makes 45 degrees with each of two perpendicular lines. It asks for component vectors, which I calculated, using Pythagorean theorem, as 6 times square root of 2 (four sets with differing + and - signs).

Hoffmann gives X as = product of Vx and ex; and Y as product Vyand ey. So in trying to solve 1.3 I substituted 4 for Vx and 6 for Vy, coming up with 4ex = 6 times square root of 2 and 6ey = same (as in 1.2. both X and Y are 6 times square root of 2.) The trouble is these do not yield correct answers, which Hoffmann gives as + or - 18 times square root of two for ex and + or - 12 times square root of 2 for ey. So please tell me how to achieve correct results.

Last edited:
finally realized my error arithmatic; could have solved with Pythagorean theorem if had squared the 144 vector magnitude in exercise 1.2; this would have resulted in 144/square root of 2 = to 72 times square root of 2 for the components X and Y.

1. What is the Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem?

The Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest distance between two points in a three-dimensional space. It was first introduced by the mathematician Banesh Hoffmann in his book "The Strange Story of the Quantum" in 1959.

2. How is the Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem solved?

The problem is solved by using the concept of vectors and vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. By representing the two points in the three-dimensional space as vectors, the distance between them can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem?

The problem has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used to calculate the shortest distance between two points in a 3D space in physics problems such as motion of objects in a force field. In computer graphics, it is used to determine the distance between a 3D point and a 3D surface for rendering purposes.

4. Are there any limitations to the Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem?

One limitation of the problem is that it only applies to three-dimensional space. It cannot be extended to higher dimensions. Additionally, the problem assumes that the distance between the two points is a straight line, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios where there are obstacles in the path.

5. Are there alternative methods for solving the Banesh Hoffmann's Vectors problem?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving the problem, such as using calculus and optimization techniques. These methods may be more complex but can be applied to more general cases where the distance between the two points is not a straight line. However, the vector approach is often preferred due to its simplicity and ease of application in most cases.