Solving Rotational Dynamics: 4.0 Nm Torque, 4.0 kg Cylinder, 2.0 s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
kingyof2thejring
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Hello there, I've got a problem here.
A solid cylinder of radius 0.8 m and mass 4.0 kg is at rest. A 4.0 N m torque is applied to the cylinder about an axis through its centre.

Calculate the angular velocity of the cylinder, in rad s-1 , after the torque has been applied for 2.0 s.

how do i go about solving this problem. what should i be considering first.
thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of Newton's second law for rotational systems. The linear version is F=ma. What is the rotational equivilent?
 
torque=(m.r^2).angular acceleration
since torque=F.r=ma.r
where a=r.angular acceleration.
 
physicsmy said:
torque=(m.r^2).angular acceleration
since torque=F.r=ma.r
where a=r.angular acceleration.

I'm really not sure what you just wrote there, though I have a feeling you're missing something. If I'm correct, you have the form of the equation as

[tex]\sum \tau = (m r^2) \alpha[/tex]

It also looks like you have your definition of torque mixed up. Torque is defined as such: [tex]\tau = R cross s[/tex]. (what exactly is the tex for cross product x as opposed to curly mathematical x?) Since the cross product of R and s is ||R|| ||s|| sin(angle between r and s), if R and s are at a 90 degree angle it reduces down to the [tex]\tau = F r[/tex] that you stated, but only if they meet at a 90 degree angle. (You can, of course, take components to find the perpundicular and parallel forces ;) )

However, your statement that the sum of the torques is equal to mr^2*alpha is false in all but one case. The proper general form is

[tex]\sum \tau = I \alpha[/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia of the body.
 
Last edited:
Somehow, you got this far into your physics course and you STILL ignore the Sum:
[tex]\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex] , not just F = ma .

In rotation, rotational Inertia depends on shape, which can change! Learn:
[tex]\Sigma \vec{\tau} = \frac{\Delta \vec{L}}{\Delta t} = sometimes = I \vec{\alpha}[/tex] (if shape is constant).
each [tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex] helps to cause the effect, on the right-hand-side.
(NEVER ignore the Delta, which operates on the L and the t).
In your case, [tex]L = I \omega[/tex] , where solid disk (cylinder) Inertia is
(look up a table in your book. BOOKMARK it. Shapes differ!) I = ½ M R^2 .
 
Last edited: