Solving Skiing Problems: Net Force, Speed & Free-Body Diagrams

In summary: The skier has a net force of -583.8 N acting on her. She has a speed of 8.34 m/s when she arrives at the bottom of the slope.
Oliviam12

Homework Statement

A skier goes down a slope with an angle of 35 degrees relative to the horizontal. Her
mass, including all equipment, is 70 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between her
skies and the snow is 0.15.
A. Please draw a free-body diagram of the skier.
B. Calculate the net force acting on the skier.
C. If the slope is 60 m long, what is her speed at the bottom of the slope,
assuming that she started from rest?

Homework Equations

Fg= -mg
F=MA
ect.

The Attempt at a Solution

Does this like correct? (Especially B and C, seeing as I have never done this type before)

My A is:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1207/freend1.th.png

My B is:
Fg=-mg
Fg=-70(9.81)
Fg=-686.7 N

Fk= LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.Fg
Fk= .15 (-686)
Fk = -102.9 N

Net Force: -686.7 - -102.9= -583.8 NC.) (The length of the ramp dosn't really matter does it?)
F=MA
-583.8= 70A
-8.34 m/s^2 =A

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part C use conservation of energy.
At the start she has a PE = m g h at the end this is all KE = 1/2 m V^2.
Work out what vertical distance she travels in going 60m at 35deg.

Your part b isn't right. have a look at this page:

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Dynamics/InclinePlanePhys.html

you can't add the gravitational force and friction the way you did... you need to add them as vectors... take 2 axes... one perpendicular to the incline...

The 3 forces in this situation are gravity, normal force and friction... gravity divides into 2 components... parallel to the incline, and perpendicular to the incline (that's what that link is about).

The forces parallel to the incline are: friction and parallel component of gravity. What do these add to?

The forces perpendicular to the incline are: normal force and perpendicular component of gravity. These add to zero because the skier isn't accelerating in our out of the incline...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry? I don't understand what to do? That site confuses me even more...

Last edited:
I did it a different way; Fnet =fg(sin[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex]cos[tex]\theta)[/tex] and got 392.668 N ? (For B part) and is C part correct?

For c, you have found the acceleration not the speed

Oliviam12 said:
I did it a different way; Fnet =fg(sin[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex]cos[tex]\theta)[/tex] and got 392.668 N ? (For B part) and is C part correct?

your formula looks right but I'm not getting that number... I get 309.18N

Part c... use conservation of energy, taking into account the work by friction...

Work by friction = final energy - initial energy

-[tex]\mu[/tex]*mgcos(35)*25 = (1/2)mv^2 - mgh

or get the acceleration from the force in part b) divided by mass... then use kinematics.

Related to Solving Skiing Problems: Net Force, Speed & Free-Body Diagrams

1. What is net force in skiing?

Net force in skiing refers to the overall force acting on a skier as they move down a slope. It is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the skier, including gravity, air resistance, and friction.

2. How does net force affect skiing?

Net force affects skiing by determining the acceleration and speed of the skier. A larger net force will result in a greater acceleration and higher speed, while a smaller net force will result in a slower acceleration and lower speed.

3. What is the relationship between speed and net force in skiing?

The relationship between speed and net force in skiing is directly proportional. This means that as the net force increases, the speed of the skier will also increase. Conversely, as the net force decreases, the speed of the skier will decrease as well.

4. How can free-body diagrams be used to solve skiing problems?

Free-body diagrams can be used to visually represent and analyze the forces acting on a skier in a specific situation. By drawing all the forces as arrows and labeling their magnitudes and directions, one can determine the net force and use it to solve problems related to skiing, such as finding the speed or acceleration of a skier.

5. What are some common skiing problems that can be solved using net force, speed, and free-body diagrams?

Some common skiing problems that can be solved using net force, speed, and free-body diagrams include finding the speed of a skier at a certain point on a slope, determining the acceleration of a skier, and calculating the net force required to reach a desired speed or acceleration. These techniques can also be used to analyze the effects of different slopes, equipment, and weather conditions on skiing performance.