Speed skier travelling up a hill

• Thread starter Ly444999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill Speed
In summary: So your answer is accurate for a typical coefficient, but not for your situation.Ok. Fwiw, a typical coefficient of ski on snow would be less than 0.1. So your answer is accurate for a typical coefficient, but not for your situation.
Ly444999

Homework Statement

A speed skier is traveling horizontally at a constant speed of 5.80 m/s when she approaches a snow-covered hill that has a slope of 23.0° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the hill is 0.350 and the combined mass of her and her skis is 77.0 kg. If she decided to glide up the hill, how far would she make it before she comes to a complete stop?

Homework Equations

Fnet = m*a
Fk = μ Fn
Fg = m(-g)
Fgx = m(-g)sinθ
Fgy = m(-g)cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I solved for the y component of the force due to gravity:
Fgx = (77.0kg)(-9.8m/s2)*cos23 = -694.61296

Then I solved for the kinetic friction with the the y component of the gravity force equaling the normal force:
Fk = (0.350)(-694.61296) = -243.11454

Then I went on to solve for acceleration using the Fnet formula with the x component of gravity subtracting the kinetic friction force:

m*a = Fgx - Fk
(77.0kg)*a = [(77.0kg)(-9.8m/s2)*sin23] - 243.11454
a = -6.98650

I was just wondering is this right so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ly444999 said:
is this right so far?
Looks right. (With that coefficient of friction for skis on snow, the skiing industry would collapse.)

haruspex said:
Looks right. (With that coefficient of friction for skis on snow, the skiing industry would collapse.)
So I am supposed to use negative 9.8 (or whatever decimal places I use), depending on whether I make up or down positive (I made down negative), on both x and y component?
Also is that Fnet equation right Fgx subtract Fk? I'm having a lot of doubts and confusions in my calculations from which value should be positive or negative.

Ly444999 said:
So I am supposed to use negative 9.8 (or whatever decimal places I use), depending on whether I make up or down positive (I made down negative), on both x and y component?
Also is that Fnet equation right Fgx subtract Fk? I'm having a lot of doubts and confusions in my calculations from which value should be positive or negative.
Clearly both the friction and the downslope component of gravity will contribute to the slowing of the skier, so the important thing is that they should have the same sign. The other main opportunity for errors is in confusion between sine and cosine, but I confirm you have that right too.

I plugged in that acceleration into Vf2 = Vi2 +2*a*d and I ended up getting 4.81500 m and that answer was wrong apparently did I do something wrong?
Final velocity I'm almost certain is 0.
Initial velocity was given at 5.80 m/s
acceleration I solved to be -6.98650

Edit: Oops I forgot to multiply the acceleration by 2 before I divided the initial velocity by that

Ly444999 said:
I plugged in that acceleration into Vf2 = Vi2 +2*a*d and I ended up getting 4.81500 m and that answer was wrong apparently did I do something wrong?
Final velocity I'm almost certain is 0.
Initial velocity was given at 5.80 m/s
acceleration I solved to be -6.98650
I get about half that. Did you forget the 2 in 2ad?

haruspex said:
I get about half that. Did you forget the 2 in 2ad?
Yeah I did ooops lol thanks for quick reply though.

Ly444999 said:
Yeah I did ooops lol thanks for quick reply though.
Ok. Fwiw, a typical coefficient for ski on snow would be less than 0.1.

1. How fast can a speed skier travel up a hill?

The speed at which a speed skier can travel up a hill depends on various factors such as the steepness of the hill, the snow conditions, and the skier's technique. However, on average, a skilled speed skier can reach speeds of 60-70 miles per hour while travelling up a steep hill.

2. What is the difference between speed skiing and regular skiing up a hill?

The main difference between speed skiing and regular skiing up a hill is the technique used. Speed skiers use a more aerodynamic stance and tuck their bodies to reduce air resistance, while regular skiers use more traditional skiing techniques such as carving and turning.

3. How does the weight of a speed skier affect their speed while travelling up a hill?

The weight of a speed skier can have a significant impact on their speed while travelling up a hill. A heavier skier will have more momentum and may be able to reach higher speeds, but a lighter skier may have better balance and control. Ultimately, it depends on the individual skier's technique and experience.

4. Can speed skiers travel up any type of hill?

Speed skiers can technically travel up any type of hill, but the ideal conditions for speed skiing are steep and smooth slopes with packed or groomed snow. This allows for maximum speed and control while travelling up the hill.

5. Is speed skiing up a hill dangerous?

As with any high-speed sport, there is always a risk of danger when speed skiing up a hill. However, with proper training, equipment, and safety measures, the risk can be minimized. It is important for speed skiers to always follow safety guidelines and be aware of their surroundings while travelling up a hill.