Solving Solar Heating System Problem

In summary, the engineer is trying to figure out how to take advantage of the solar energy available this summer, but is having trouble getting the equation correct. He has an aluminium pipe with water running through it that will gain energy from solar radiation, but will also lose energy to the air around and to the atmosphere in thermal radiation. He wants to know the temperature of the fluid as it leaves the exposed pipe, but his unknown is the temperature of the fluid itself. He thinks right now he is looking at transient heat transfer, but he is not sure if he is making the equation more complicated than it needs to be. He has a solution so far which is to assume an average temperature at the exit.
amish99
Bit Stumped at the moment...

I am attempting to design a system to take advantage of the solar energy available this summer, but am struggle to get the equation correct.

Broken down, i have an aluminium pipe with water running thorugh it, which will gain energy from solar radiation, but will also loose energy to the air around via convection and to the atmosphere in thermal radiation. The pipe will also be covered in black absorber coating.

My target is to find the temperature of the fluid as is leaves the exposed pipe,
However my unknown at this point is that of the fluid, obviosuly i know the inlet temperature, but obviosuly this would change as we go down the length of the pipe,

I think right now I am looking at tranient heat trasnfer, am i making this more complex than it is?

My solution so far is,

Q=(alpha)(area of pipe)(solar Heat flux) = mdot(Cp)(T'out-T'in)
alpha being absobitivty
mdot is mass flow rate

I then assume the temperature of the pipe is assumed to be that of T'out and use it in the following;

Q/L=2pie(T'pipe-T'air) / [(1/h1r1)+(1/k1)(lnr2/r1)+(1/r2h2)]

r1 being the inner pipe radia
r2 being the outer pipe radia
h1 being convection of water
h2 being convetion of air
k1 is conductivity of pipe

This doesn't make sense for me, unless i am expected to assume that the water is maintained at the pre calcuated outlet temperature, or do i take an average instead?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I Forget to mention the thermal radiation lost

Q/L= (planks constant)(emistivity)(2pie)(r)(T^4-T^4)

You should assume an average temperature. That will give you an average heat loss per unit length. From there, you can apply that heat loss and mass flow to get a good estimate of the temperature at the exit.

I suppose the proper way would be to integrate over the length of the pipe, but unless the pipe is extremely large, your method should get you in the ballpark. Particularly being that convection coefficients will vary significantly throughout the day (wind, etc).

Related to Solving Solar Heating System Problem

1. How do solar heating systems work?

Solar heating systems work by capturing the sun's energy and converting it into heat. This is done through the use of solar panels, which absorb the sun's rays and transfer the energy to a heat-transfer fluid. The heated fluid is then circulated through a series of pipes or tubes, transferring the heat to a storage tank or directly to the home's heating system.

2. What are common problems with solar heating systems?

Common problems with solar heating systems include leaks in the system, malfunctioning components such as pumps or valves, and inadequate insulation. Other issues can include a buildup of sediment or corrosion in the system, as well as poor installation or maintenance.

3. How can I troubleshoot a solar heating system problem?

First, check for any obvious issues such as leaks or loose connections. Next, make sure the system is properly connected to the home's heating system and that all components are working correctly. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to consult a professional for further troubleshooting and repairs.

4. What can I do to prevent future problems with my solar heating system?

Regular maintenance and inspections are key to preventing future problems with a solar heating system. This includes checking for leaks, cleaning and replacing any filters, and ensuring that all components are functioning properly. It is also important to have the system professionally installed to ensure it is set up correctly.

5. Are there any potential safety concerns with solar heating systems?

While solar heating systems are generally safe, there are a few potential safety concerns to be aware of. These include the risk of burns from hot components, electrical hazards if the system is not installed correctly, and the potential for freezing and bursting in cold climates. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and have the system regularly inspected to prevent any potential hazards.