Solving Suspended Weight Forces: Common Mistakes and How to Correct Them

In summary: The resultant force is the sum of the two forces, gravity and the opposite force F. In this case, F is pointing down, so the resultant force is gravity plus the opposite force of F, or -1 Newtons.
mohabitar
LB1OU.png

We usually only dealt with blocks suspended from a weightless string, so this is new to me. What I did to find F for the first one, which I thing I did wrong is:
F[chain]=mg=2.5(9.8)=24.5
F[box]=1.0(9.8)=9.8
Then I added the two forces together. Is this correct, if not, where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have it correct. The measurement point is insensitive to the location of the mass. Otherwise, you would need to consider such nonsense as the top half of each 1.0 N box versus its bottom half. Consider that your string is connected to the top of the heavy chain, light chain or spring. In each case, the 'string' remains weightless.

No offense at all, I just want to make sure for sure that its right, but can someone with more forum experience comment on this?

Your method is correct, all systems are in rest so the resultant force has to be zero. The only forces are gravity and the opposite force F. But you are given the weights (in Newtons) which are forces already: mass times g. Do not multiply them with g.

ehild

Wait so is my answer right?

No. The numerical results are wrong.

ehild

So weight=mg, so if they say the weight is 5N, they already made that calculation with gravity? So then I'd just add 2.5+1, or subtract? Which one and why?

Yes they have made the calculation with gravity. That is why the unity is N. If you multiply Newtons with m/s^2 you do not get force.

So the force of gravity are given for the chain and for the block, both point downward. You need the resultant force for the whole system: what is the resultant of two downward forces? Why do you want to subtract them?

ehild

ehild

Yes they have made the calculation with gravity. That is why the unity is N. If you multiply Newtons with m/s^2 you do not get force.

So the force of gravity are given for the chain and for the block, both point downward. You need the resultant force for the whole system: what is the resultant of two downward forces? Why do you want to subtract them?

ehild

1. What is a simple suspended weight force?

A simple suspended weight force is a force that acts on an object suspended from a fixed point. The force is directed vertically downwards and is equal to the weight of the object.

2. How is the weight of a suspended object calculated?

The weight of a suspended object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of a suspended weight force?

The magnitude of a suspended weight force can be affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the object is suspended. For example, a heavier object or a higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a larger weight force.

4. How does the angle of suspension affect the weight force?

The weight force is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of suspension. This means that as the angle increases, the weight force decreases. At an angle of 90 degrees, the weight force becomes zero, as the object is no longer suspended and is instead resting on the surface below.

5. Can a suspended weight force be greater than the weight of the object?

No, a suspended weight force can never be greater than the weight of the object. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity, and the weight force is equal to this force. In other words, the maximum weight force that can act on an object is equal to its weight.