Coefficient of Friction when Normal Force is Reduced [HS]

In summary, a 5.0kg block of wood can suspend a mass of up to 0.75kg without moving. The coefficient of friction is 0.15.
Liam C

Homework Statement

A 5.0kg block of wood sits on a table with a string running over a pulley suspending a mass. The largest mass that can be suspended without moving the block of wood is 0.75kg.
a) Calculate the coefficient of friction in this case.
b) What type of coefficient of friction has been calculated in this case?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
FA = ma
FN = ?
Us = coefficient of static friction
Ff = force of friction
Us = Ff / FN

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 5.0kg
m2 = 0.75kg
a) Fg = m1 x g
Fg = (5)(9.8)
Fg = -49N

FA = m2 x a
FA = (0.75)(9.8)
FA = 7.35N

FN = 49 - 7.35
FN = 41.65

Ff = FA
Us = Ff / FN
Us = 7.35 / 41.65
Us = 0.18
b) static
According to the answer key, the correct coefficient is 0.15. I suspect I'm calculating the normal force incorrectly, but I was never taught how to do it in this case so I am clueless. How does this applied upward force from the suspended weight affect the force of the normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Liam C said:
a) Fg = m1 x g
Fg = (5)(9.8)
Fg = -49N
Get into the habit of keeping everything algebraic, not plugging in numbers until the final step. It has many advantages.
Liam C said:
FN = 49 - 7.35
In what direction(s) are those forces acting on the 5kg block?

Likes Liam C
haruspex said:
Get into the habit of keeping everything algebraic, not plugging in numbers until the final step. It has many advantages.

Okay, I will do that from now on.
I think both FN and FA are going up. It doesn't really make sense to subtract one of them from the other when I think about that.

haruspex said:

Aha I figured it out! I was under the impression that the normal force would be reduced by the extra weight, but in reality it does not change.
Us = Ff / FN
Us = 7.35 / 49
Us = 0.15
My question now is: why does the force of the normal not change? There is obviously an added upwards force on the system of the block. However, in order for the normal to stay the same there must also be an equal added force downwards. I know that the force of gravity is pulling the weight on the pulley down, but that weight is a separate system.

Liam C said:
why does the force of the normal not change? There is obviously an added upwards force on the system of the block
You did not post a diagram, but the only way to make sense of the question is that the string runs horizontally from the 5kg block to the pulley. If it were to run vertically there would be no reason for friction to be involved, and if it were at any other angle it would need to be stated.

Likes Liam C
haruspex said:
You did not post a diagram, but the only way to make sense of the question is that the string runs horizontally from the 5kg block to the pulley. If it were to run vertically there would be no reason for friction to be involved, and if it were at any other angle it would need to be stated.
Interesting. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one surface moves relative to the other. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force required to overcome the resistance and keep the surfaces in motion.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over another by the normal force between the two surfaces. The result is a decimal value that represents the coefficient of friction for those two surfaces.

3. What is the relationship between the coefficient of friction and normal force?

The coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the normal force. This means that as the normal force increases, the coefficient of friction also increases. The opposite is also true, when the normal force decreases, the coefficient of friction decreases.

4. How does reducing the normal force affect the coefficient of friction?

Reducing the normal force results in a decrease in the coefficient of friction. This is because there is less force pushing the surfaces together, which means there is less resistance to overcome. As a result, less force is required to keep the surfaces in motion.

5. What are some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction when normal force is reduced?

Some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction when normal force is reduced include the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, the velocity and temperature of the moving surfaces can also impact the coefficient of friction.