Solving the Billard Ball Rebound Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a project on billiard balls and how to determine the angle of incidence for the first ball to strike and rebound off the rim of the table and impact the second ball. Different methods, including using algebra and geometry, are suggested to solve the problem. It is also mentioned that the table can be circular and the normal line needs to be taken into account.
htrimm08
I have a project to do on billard balls, just one problem, I have no idea how to start it off.. I was wondering if anybody had an idea about it?

"given a billard table, and two balls on it, from which direction should the first ball be struck, so that it rebounds off the rim of the table and then impacts the second ball?

we will assume that the ball reflects elastically at the billard, ie the table edge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the angle of incidence = angle of reflection. But surely you have more information. There will be several correct answers in general.

yeah, I've gotten that far, asumed the points of the two balls...we have to express this analytically and geometrically, I have no idea how to come up with the formula of this... we also have to use a circular table as well and compare them

htrimm08 said:
yeah, I've gotten that far, asumed the points of the two balls...we have to express this analytically and geometrically, I have no idea how to come up with the formula of this... we also have to use a circular table as well and compare them

I guess you will just have to bite the bullet and slug your way through it. Put the table in the first quadrant with one ball at (a,b) and the other at (c,d) and work out the algebra. Dunno if you can do just one rail or have to do all four; depends on what your teacher wants. Once you've done one the others should be easy. :-p

Is it ok to assume the points of the balls, say if it was on a graph? and then with that find the angle of the point of incidence? I am still stumped as to how to find the formula after this... anyone willing to do it for me? lol. jk

LCKurtz said:
I guess you will just have to bite the bullet and slug your way through it. Put the table in the first quadrant with one ball at (a,b) and the other at (c,d) and work out the algebra. Dunno if you can do just one rail or have to do all four; depends on what your teacher wants. Once you've done one the others should be easy. :-p

htrimm08 said:
Is it ok to assume the points of the balls, say if it was on a graph? and then with that find the angle of the point of incidence? I am still stumped as to how to find the formula after this... anyone willing to do it for me? lol. jk

Let the rail you use be the x-axis so the bounce point is (p,0). Then work with the slopes of the lines from the balls to the point to figure out p for equal angles.

If the table is circular then set the normal line for angle of incidence perpendicular to the tangent line at point of impact.

Related to Solving the Billard Ball Rebound Problem

1. What is the "Billard ball calculus problem"?

The "Billard ball calculus problem" is a mathematical physics problem that studies the motion of a billiard ball on a frictionless billiard table. It involves using calculus to determine the trajectory of the ball as it bounces off the walls of the table.

2. Why is the "Billard ball calculus problem" important?

The "Billard ball calculus problem" is important because it is a classic example of how mathematics and physics can be used to model and understand real-world systems. It also has applications in fields such as optics and computer graphics.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the "Billard ball calculus problem"?

The key assumptions made in the "Billard ball calculus problem" are that the billiard table is perfectly flat and frictionless, the balls are perfectly round, and there is no spin or other forces acting on the ball.

4. How is calculus used to solve the "Billard ball calculus problem"?

Calculus is used to solve the "Billard ball calculus problem" by applying the laws of motion and using the principles of differentiation and integration to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball at any given time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Billard ball calculus problem"?

Yes, the "Billard ball calculus problem" has real-world applications in fields such as optics, computer graphics, and even robotics. It can also be used to model the motion of other objects, such as particles moving in a magnetic field.