Solving the Displacement Problem: Find Magnitude of Total Displacement

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Ripcurl
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A person walks 21m east and then walks 34m at an angle 47 degrees north of east.
What is the magnitude of the total displacement?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure how you would go about finding the answer:confused: Help anyone?:-p
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this is a problem which would require some knowledge of vectors to solve. since that is the case, draw the path he take and take the starting point to be 0. To calculate the total displacement, just draw a straight line from the starting point to the endpoint.
 
I know that displacement is the distance from the starting point to the ending point, but I'm not exactly sure how I would find it in that problem. I don't think I could use the trig formulas (sin, cos, and tan) because we're not dealing with a right triangle here. (Or does it matter?) So how would I find the answer?
 
Why ain't we dealing with right angle triangle? Like I said draw the path he took
 
Okay, so I draw the path. . . . then what? :confused:Would I subtract 21m from 34m to get the displacement?