A projectile's initial velocity without time?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a projectile being launched horizontally, vertically, and at a 23 degree angle. The problem provides average displacements for each launch, but does not specify what these displacements refer to, making it difficult to determine the meaning of "average." The problem also does not specify what is being asked to find, but the title suggests it is the launch velocity. However, the lack of clarity in the problem statement makes it difficult to solve without further information.
dritt

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched:
Horizontally, with an average displacement of 49 cm
Vertically, with an average displacement of 28 cm
At a 23 degree angle, with average displacement of 126 cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sad to say I don't know how to do it. Walk me through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dritt and welcome to PF.

Please make an effort to work through the problem. Copy the problem exactly as it was given to you in "problem statement". What you show is a bunch of numbers without a statement of what you are asked to find. Figure out the relevant equations and put them in. You must have some idea of what they are. Make an effort to use these equations in an attempt to get the solution. "I don't know how to do it" will not get you very far in this forum. We don't give out solutions; we provide nudges in the right direction.

dritt said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched:
Horizontally, with an average displacement of 49 cm
Vertically, with an average displacement of 28 cm
At a 23 degree angle, with average displacement of 126 cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sad to say I don't know how to do it. Walk me through?
The problem does not seem to be comprehensible. what is the meaning of "average" angle with what? One has to make some assumptions but then it means the problem is not worded properly or after reading the problem OP is writing the problem in his personal script.

kuruman said:
a statement of what you are asked to find
The title indicates it is the launch velocity.
Let'sthink said:
what is the meaning of "average" angle
In all three it refers to "average displacement" and states a distance, but it baffles me what this means.
Average over time during the motion?
Displacement is a vector, but we are only given a magnitude.
That the horizontal launch produces a nonzero displacement implies it is not from ground level.
For the vertical case, is it vertical displacement, or is there cross-wind?
What the average displacement means for the angled launch is most unclear.

1. What is the formula for calculating a projectile's initial velocity without time?

The formula for calculating a projectile's initial velocity without time is V0 = (Vf^2 - 2gh)^1/2, where V0 is the initial velocity, Vf is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the projectile.

2. How is the initial velocity of a projectile without time related to its trajectory?

The initial velocity of a projectile without time is directly related to its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and steeper trajectory.

3. What factors influence the initial velocity of a projectile without time?

The initial velocity of a projectile without time is influenced by the height from which the projectile is launched, the angle at which it is launched, and any external forces acting on the projectile such as air resistance or wind.

4. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be negative if it is launched downwards or in the opposite direction of its intended trajectory. This would result in a negative value for V0 in the formula.

5. How does changing the initial velocity of a projectile affect its maximum height and range?

Changing the initial velocity of a projectile will affect both its maximum height and range. A higher initial velocity will result in a higher maximum height and a longer range, while a lower initial velocity will result in a lower maximum height and a shorter range.