Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the general Schodinger equation

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    Equations are found at : http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/zl3psf

3.Plot the expression for the Gaussian wavepacket, equation (2) of the notes
    for t = 0; 0.5; 1.5 secs
    Use N = 4096 L = 25 (length of positive x axis), beta = 0:5785 (an
    electron), alpha = 0.5, k0 = 1, x0 = L, xN = L, dx =
    2L/N.

4.Write and test the symmetric tridiagonal system of equation solver in C#. Adapt
    the code from the notes for use with your complex number types.

5.Repeat 3 by evolving psi(x, 0) in time by solving equations (7), (9) and (10)
    in the notes using your solver from 4. above. I used t = 0.001. Note V (x)
    from the notes is 0 everywhere in this part but include it in you program
    because you need it for the next bit

What I don't understand is the fifth question, what do they mean by "evolve in time"? I thought it meant to plot psi(x,t) for different values of t but how can that be possible if they have already given me that t = 0? Even if I did that i would need values of R in order to solve for the psi vector, where do I get that? Can somebody explain to me what question 5 wants me to do, I am not a Physicist so very complex explanations will probably not be understood.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You are supposed to calculate it for other values of t.

I think you do not need the R_i, the equations are all "something with psi = R_i = some other thing with psi".

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    I think I have to find a way of getting values of R because I need to substitute them in equation 11 in order to get the value of psi.I really still don't understand what's going on in this question.If I need to evolve psi(x,0) then that means I will have to plot psi(x,0), psi(x,0.5) and psi(x,1.5) by solving equations (7), (9) and (10).

Now as an example, for psi(x,0) I know :

psi(x,t) = psi(j*dx,n*dt)

=> x = j*dx and n*dt = 0, where dt = 0.001, -4096 < j < 4096, -25 < x < 25

But how do I use this information to plot the graph of psi(x,0)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook