Solving this Equation that Wolfram Alpha doesn't compute....

In summary, this person is trying to solve an equation for x. They say that Wolfram Alpha refused to compute it, and they need help from someone with a Pro version. They ask if anyone can help them.
kajakkajak
Hi I need to solve this equation: $$ a = x \cdot \left( c \cdot e^{ \frac {1} {d+x \cdot e }} - b \right) $$ for x. Unfortunately Wolfram Alpha refused to compute it. Maybe I need a Pro version. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
kajakkajak said:
Hi I need to solve this equation: x*(c*(exp^(1/(d+x*e)))-b)=a for x. Unfortunately Wolfram Alpha refused to compute it. Maybe I need a Pro version. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this question for schoolwork? If so, please re-post it in the Homework Help section of the PF, and show your work toward the solution.

If not, can you say where the equation came from? Also, it would help if you would post math questions using LaTeX -- there is a tutorial under INFO, Help at the top of the page. :smile:

EDIT -- I see you edited your post to change the equation to LaTeX form -- Thanks!

Last edited:
Let ##y=\frac{1}{d+ex}## and try to slve for ##y##.

Likes berkeman
kajakkajak said:
Hi I need to solve this equation: $$ a = x \cdot \left( c \cdot e^{ \frac {1} {d+x \cdot e } - b \right) $$ for x. Unfortunately Wolfram Alpha refused to compute it. Maybe I need a Pro version. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Is the "e" in "d + x \cdot e" the same "e" in e^{...}?

Hmm... an equation of the form

##a=x*e^x##

has a solution with Lambert function:

##x=W(a)##

so I guess the solution is some variation of that theme?

fbs7 said:
Hmm... an equation of the form

##a=x*e^x##

has a solution with Lambert function:

##x=W(a)##

so I guess the solution is some variation of that theme?

Unfortunately, that does not seem to work. It looks like either some type of approximation scheme is needed, or else a numerical method when numerical parameter values are given.

1. How do I solve an equation that Wolfram Alpha can't compute?

There are a few possible reasons why Wolfram Alpha may not be able to compute an equation. One reason could be that the equation is too complex or has too many variables for the software to handle. In this case, you may need to use a different software or approach to solve the equation. Another reason could be that the equation is invalid or does not have a solution. In this case, you may need to recheck your equation for errors or consider if there is a different approach to solving the problem.

2. Can I use other methods or tools to solve an equation that Wolfram Alpha can't compute?

Yes, there are many other methods and tools available for solving equations. Some popular options include using graphing calculators, numerical methods, or programming languages such as MATLAB or Python. You could also try consulting a math tutor or teacher for assistance in solving the equation.

3. How can I check if my solution to an equation is correct if Wolfram Alpha can't verify it?

If Wolfram Alpha is unable to verify your solution, you can try plugging your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. Another option is to use a different software or method to check your solution. You can also ask a math expert or consult a textbook to verify your solution.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on solving an equation that Wolfram Alpha can't compute?

If you are stuck on solving an equation that Wolfram Alpha can't compute, you can try breaking down the problem into smaller steps or consulting a math tutor or teacher for assistance. You can also try researching different methods or tools for solving the type of equation you are working on.

5. Is there a limit to the complexity of equations that Wolfram Alpha can compute?

Yes, there is a limit to the complexity of equations that Wolfram Alpha can compute. This limit may vary depending on the specific equation and variables involved. If you encounter an equation that Wolfram Alpha cannot compute, it may be too complex for the software to handle. In this case, you may need to use a different approach or consult a math expert for assistance.