Solving y'=\frac{(1+y)^2} {x(y+1)-x^2}: An Alternative Approach

  • Thread starter Thread starter estro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Approach
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
estro
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
I want to solve:
[itex]y'=\frac{(1+y)^2} {x(y+1)-x^2}[/itex]

What I tried:
I have no basis to think that y' is positive or negative in some domain, but if I do, I can write:
[itex]x'(y)=\frac {x(y+1)-x^2}{(1+y)^2}=\frac{x}{(1+y)} +\frac{x^2}{(1+y)^2}[/itex]

and then I can substitute [itex]z=\frac{x}{(1+y)}[/itex]

And I get the following ODE: [itex](y+1)\frac{dz}{dy}+z=z-z^2[/itex].

So the solution is [itex]\frac{1}{z}=\frac{(y+1)}{x}=\ln|y+1|+C[/itex].

Then I can mark all this as "draft" and write: Let's notice that if [itex]F(x,y)=\frac{(y+1)}{x}-\ln|y+1|=C[/itex] is a potential, so this is indeed the solution.

Is this solution legit?
How can I solve this problem alternatively?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
estro said:
And I get the following ODE: [itex](y+1)\frac{dz}{dy}+z=z-z^2[/itex].
You might want to check that. I get something a little simpler.
Then I can mark all this as "draft" and write: Let's notice that if [itex]F(x,y)=\frac{(y+1)}{x}-\ln|y+1|=C[/itex] is a potential, so this is indeed the solution.
Sorry, I don't follow your logic there. Did you check that your solution satisfies the original equation?
Try substituting z = (y+1)/x straight off.
 
This is what I've got: attached pdf document.
Can you help me to spot what I did wrong?
 
Attachments
Hmm I only looked at this for a moment, but it looks like a POSSIBLE candidate for the method of successive approximations.
 
estro said:
I want to solve:
[itex]y'=\frac{(1+y)^2} {x(y+1)-x^2}[/itex]

What I tried:
I have no basis to think that y' is positive or negative in some domain, but if I do, I can write:
[itex]x'(y)=\frac {x(y+1)-x^2}{(1+y)^2}=\frac{x}{(1+y)} +\frac{x^2}{(1+y)^2}[/itex]

This is a Bernoulli ODE with n = 2, with respect to [itex]x(y)[/itex] and is transformed to a linear ODE with the substitution:
[tex] z = x^{1 - n} = x^{-1}[/tex]
The derivative is:
[tex] x' = -x^{-2} \, x'[/tex]
So, multiply the equation by [itex](-x^{-2})[/itex], and see what you get.
 
Dickfore said:
This is a Bernoulli ODE with n = 2, with respect to [itex]x(y)[/itex] and is transformed to a linear ODE with the substitution:
[tex] z = x^{1 - n} = x^{-1}[/tex]
The derivative is:
[tex] x' = -x^{-2} \, x'[/tex]
So, multiply the equation by [itex](-x^{-2})[/itex], and see what you get.

Thanks!

But, can I assume that y' is positive or negative in some domain?
How can I explain this?
 
[itex]x'[/itex] and [itex]y'[/itex] have the same sign.
 
I understand this. but how I can understand that any of one of the tho preserve sign in any domain?
 
estro said:
I understand this. but how I can understand that any of one of the tho preserve sign in any domain?

Ok, so:
[tex] y' = \frac{(1 + y)^2}{x (y + 1) - x^2} = \frac{(1 + y)^2}{x (y + 1 - x)}[/tex]
The sign of [itex]y'[/itex] is the same as the sign of [itex]x (y + 1 - x)[/itex]. You may draw the regions in the x-y plane where this is positive, negative, or zero. When it is zero, [itex]y'[/itex] diverges, but [itex]x' = 0[/itex] (unless [itex]y = -1[/itex]).

When you find the general solution, try and see if any particular solution crosses from one region to another.