Multivariable limit of (x,y)->(1,0) of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy))

In summary, the multivariable limit of (x,y)--->(1,0) of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy) is 0. This is because when holding y constant at 0 and x constant at 1, the limit is 0.
jumboopizza
multivariable limit of (x,y)--->(1,0) of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy))

Homework Statement

limit of (x,y)--->(1,0) of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy))
Find the limit, if it exists, or show that the limit does
not exist.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i have: lim(x,y)---->(1,0) ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy)

i rewrote it as: ln(1+y^2)-ln(x(x+y))
holding the y constant at 0 i get=lim x-->1 0-ln(x^2)=0
holding x constant at 1 i get=lim y---> ln(1)-(ln(1)=0

but my question is,is the limit actually 0? or would i have to approach (1,0) from somwhere else?
i tried to approach (1,0) from a line (x=1+y) only to end up even more confused

lim(1+y,y) ln(1+y^2)-ln(1+y(1+2y))=0?

so does the limit actually = 0? or am i making a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your limit is extremely easy to calculate here. You can simply plug it right in. So yes the limit is actually 0, because ln(1) = 0.

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point in a multidimensional space, where the function depends on more than one independent variable.

2. How do you determine the limit of a multivariable function?

To determine the limit of a multivariable function, you need to evaluate the function at the point in question and approach it from different directions. If the function approaches the same value regardless of the direction, the limit exists. If the function approaches different values from different directions, the limit does not exist.

3. What does (x,y)->(1,0) mean?

The notation (x,y)->(1,0) indicates that the multivariable function is being evaluated at the point (1,0), where x=1 and y=0. This point is often referred to as the limit point.

4. How do you evaluate the multivariable limit of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy)) at (1,0)?

To evaluate the multivariable limit, substitute x=1 and y=0 into the function: ln(1+0^2/1^2+1*0). This simplifies to ln(1+0+0) which is equal to ln(1)=0. Therefore, the limit of ln(1+y^2/x^2+xy) at (1,0) is 0.

5. Can a multivariable limit have a different value at different points?

Yes, a multivariable limit can have a different value at different points. This is because the behavior of a multivariable function can change depending on the direction of approach towards a specific point. Therefore, the limit value can be different at different points on the same function.