Some advice for a perspective student in phyics?

In summary, the individual is a 23-year-old with a degree in Business Management and Marketing, but has recently become interested in physics and is considering going back to school for a degree in the subject. They are specifically interested in theoretical physics and are wondering about job opportunities, financial assistance, and potential income with a degree in physics. They are drawn to physics because it allows for different thought processes and the exploration of unanswered questions. They have some previous experience with math, but it has been several years since taking college-level calculus courses.
4speed390
Hello fellow phyisics geeks, I am quite happy to finally find a forum in which the topic of physics is commonplace. I have am new here posting, but I have been reading posts here for a while. I do have some questions that I would really appreciate some help with. First a little about myself, I am 23 years old and I already have a b.s. in Business Management and marekting. I have recently left a position in sales from a pretty well respected company because as it seems, in business you must do sales to move up into any type of management or other positions. So in search for another job, I started contemplating whether or not to go back to school? I figured I would go back to be a mechanical engineer since I am a gearhead, big car guy, interested in designing engines for nhra pro stock. But I soon realized that cars were just a hobby for me, and mechanical engineering simply won't suffice. I have always had an interest in phyiscs, but never pursued the degree citing the fact that jobs are a bit harder to come by, and I always thought I wouldn't have the mind to be in phyics. But now the bug has bit me very hard, I want to go back to school for physics now, and I cannot wait to start the degree. The problem that I am having really is that with the degree I have and the loans I have to pay off, coupled with the physics degree I want, hopefully nothing short of a Masters, would love for a ph.d but don't know if I can afford that, is going to be killer on me with loans, we are talking about 100 grand worth of loans for just my b.s. in biz and a b.s. in physics. So the real question(s) I have are, 1. what can I expect job wise really with a bachelors or masters in physics, 2. I would ideally pursue a theoretical physicist job, but I don't know where to go for that? 3. are there any ways to pursue this degree with some financial help? 4. what should I expect as an income for with this degree right out of school? Please realize that I am not going into physics for money, but at the same time I do not want to be living with my parents for the next 10 years if you catch my drift.

Thank you,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you find physics interesting?? What do you find so interesting? What physics do you already know or have already done?? Do you like math?

I'm asking, because maybe physics isn't the right major for you. Nothing is worse then going to school, expecting to study something you like, and then finding out that this was never covered in school, or that it was done in a way you don't like.

4speed390 said:
So the real question(s) I have are, 1. what can I expect job wise really with a bachelors or masters in physics,
It's important to remember that a degree in physics is an education and not necessarily job training. Sometimes workplace-specific training is needed after the degree (probably not what you want to hear, but better you learn it now). Physics majors tend to end up in a lot of different areas in the workforce. Their average salary tends to quite similar to that of engineers, but the spead tends to be a lot wider.

2. I would ideally pursue a theoretical physicist job, but I don't know where to go for that?
Start with a degree in physics and build on that. Before you've really taken any serious physics courses you can't really know what field you want to get into. At your stage you may want to try taking some community college introductory courses before quitting your day job - just to be sure that you know what you're jumping into.

3. are there any ways to pursue this degree with some financial help?
I don't know too much about how things work when you already have a degree. But there are always approaches to mitigate the costs from the $100k you mentioned. This is one place where starting at a community college can really help offset some cost. Then obviously there are part-time and summer jobs, as well as co-op placements. You also have to pay attention to scholarships. Often universities will have all sorts of very specific scholarships awarded to "enterprizing student in the second year of a physics degree with a black dog who wrote an essay on world peace and..."

4. what should I expect as an income for with this degree right out of school?
Look up the AIP statistics for the data.

Hey guys thanks so far for the responses. Physics for me provides anwers nothing else will. Engineering is a great job, its a great career, it is not for me, requires too much of a black and white perspective. Physics, from how I have perceived it, allows for many different thought processes, not only that but my personal traits have me striving always for beginning stages of a project or theory. In other words I am simply not interest in applying principles that have already been created, not to say that isn't impressive, because we all know that it is, but I am enthralled because I want to know more on a unified theory, I want to know more on string theory, more on quantum mechanics, and theoretical mechanics/physics as well. I am strong in math, I have a few college level calc courses but they were 4 years ago so I am a bit rusty. Basically to sum up the reasons for physics to me is that I have the want to apply my brain and learn as much as possible in the physical realm of the universe. I have minimal interest in going to be an engineer for some company and developing products all day long. I have bigger ambitions.

Dear James,

First of all, let me commend you for your passion and interest in physics. It is a challenging but incredibly rewarding field, and I am sure you will find it fulfilling.

To answer your questions:

1. With a bachelor's or master's degree in physics, you can expect to find employment in a variety of fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. Your background in business and marketing may also open up opportunities in industries such as finance and consulting. Keep in mind that a degree in physics equips you with critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

2. Pursuing a career as a theoretical physicist can be challenging, but not impossible. It is essential to have a strong academic background and to continue your education through graduate studies. Many universities, research institutions, and government agencies offer opportunities for theoretical physicists, but competition may be high. Networking, attending conferences, and reaching out to professors and professionals in the field can help you find potential job opportunities.

3. Yes, there are ways to pursue a degree in physics with financial help. Many universities offer scholarships, grants, and assistantships for graduate students in physics. It is also worth looking into government-funded programs, such as the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition assistance for employees pursuing advanced degrees in a related field.

4. The starting salary for a physics graduate can vary depending on the industry and location. According to the American Institute of Physics, the median starting salary for bachelor's degree holders in physics was $55,000 in 2018. With a master's or Ph.D., you can expect a higher salary, but it may also depend on your specific job role and experience.

I understand your concerns about student loans and financial stability. My advice would be to research and plan carefully before committing to a specific program. Consider reaching out to professionals in the field and talking to them about their experiences and career paths. It may also be helpful to connect with your university's career services center to explore potential job opportunities and salary expectations.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a degree in physics. Remember to stay curious, work hard, and don't be afraid to ask for help and guidance along the way.

Best of luck,

1. What is the most important skill for a perspective student in physics?

The most important skill for a perspective student in physics is critical thinking. Physics is all about understanding the world through observation, experimentation, and analysis. Being able to think critically and logically is crucial for success in this field.

2. How should I prepare for studying physics in college?

To prepare for studying physics in college, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. Make sure to take advanced courses in these subjects in high school, and consider taking AP or IB courses if available. It is also helpful to brush up on your problem-solving skills and get familiar with basic physics concepts before starting college.

3. What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

One common misconception about studying physics is that it is only for geniuses or extremely gifted individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and excel in physics with dedication and hard work. Another misconception is that all physicists work in labs, when in fact there are many different career paths for physicists, including research, teaching, and industry.

4. How can I make the most out of my physics classes?

To make the most out of your physics classes, actively participate in class discussions and ask questions when you don't understand something. Practice solving problems on your own and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Also, try to apply what you learn in class to real-world situations and keep an open mind to new ideas and concepts.

5. What are some career options for someone with a degree in physics?

There are many career options for someone with a degree in physics. Some common options include research and development in industries such as technology, healthcare, and energy. Other options include teaching at the high school or college level, working in government agencies or national laboratories, or pursuing further education in a specialized field of physics.