Some General Questions - Need Clarification

• Thread starter lowing99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, Colinbouncebounce has posted three questions on the General Physics board. The first question is about strings and whether they have movement in time or if they are one dimensional. The second question is a hypothetical scenario involving space time and light. The third question is about what happens when two lasers with mirrors attached fire pulses at each other. Colinbouncebounce apologizes for the random and basic questions.
lowing99
Hi Folks

I have a few questions that I hope some of you guys could help me with, they are a bit random so I've posted to the General Physics board, hopefully the right one.

Q Strings are described as one dimensional, is time assumed as an added dimension ? For example, a film can be described as 3D when its actually 4D as it moves in time, is the string one dimensional and has no movement in time or is it actually 2D as in a One D object moving in time?

Guessing the latter - just want to clarify

Q2 If space time and all matter contained inside (not light) could be moved in a wave oscillating at the same frequency as light,would light appear to move in a straight line, to an observer (within the space time matter wave), rather than a wave?

Its a hypothetical one, hopefully I've explained it ok :)

Q3 If you have a setup of 2 lasers, each laser fires a very short pulse to its neighbour.

If the two lasers have mirrors attached to reflect its neighbours light back to its neighbour at an exact one eighty degree angle, so the laser pulses collide in the middle of the two lasers.

What actually happens to the laser light in the centre of the distance between the two lasers, does it grow brighter, at that point as the photons have doubled?, is there some kind of phase cancellation at all, are there photon collisions? Or does nothing happen ?

sorry they are a bit random and probably basic but they are currently bugging me

best

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
bounce

bounce

1. What does "Some General Questions - Need Clarification" mean?

"Some General Questions - Need Clarification" refers to a category or topic of questions that require further explanation or clarification. These questions may be broad or specific, but they all share the common characteristic of needing more information in order to be fully understood.

2. Why do scientists ask for clarification?

Scientists often ask for clarification as a means of ensuring accuracy and understanding in their research. By seeking clarification, they can gather more precise and specific information, which can ultimately lead to more accurate and reliable results.

3. How do scientists clarify their questions?

Scientists may clarify their questions by asking for more specific details, seeking additional sources of information, or conducting further experiments or studies. They may also consult with other experts in the field to gain a better understanding of the topic.

4. What happens if a question is not clarified?

If a question is not clarified, it may lead to inaccurate or incomplete results in scientific research. This can have significant consequences, especially in fields such as medicine or environmental science, where incorrect information could impact human health or the environment.

5. Can scientists always provide clarification for their questions?

No, scientists may not always be able to provide clarification for their questions. Some questions may be too complex or require further research to fully understand. In these cases, scientists may acknowledge the limitations and uncertainties in their findings and continue to work towards finding answers through ongoing research and collaboration with other scientists.