Some questions about strain gauges

• Thread starter X1088LoD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the gauge factor S_G is determined by the strain sensitivity and transverse sensitivity of the gauge. The term \frac{dR}{R} is used frequently in strain gauge theory. The resistance of the gauge is affected by temperature changes, bridge excitation voltages, adhesion quality, and lead wire lengths.
X1088LoD
I am trying to figure out a couple questions involving strain gauges.

First of all, how is the gauge factor physically determined. Anyone know the process by which a company gets that. I am particularly using a Vishay strain gauge with a GF of 2.035, and indeed in practice most standard strain gauges have a GF of around 2. What makes it this value, and how is it determined? Wouldnt it make more sense to be unity?

The resistance of a grid of wire is fundamentally given by R=K*L/A, where K is the resistivity constant of the wire, L is the length of the grid wire, and A is the cross sectional area. What contributes more to the change in resistance of a strain gauge, the change in length of the wire of the grid as it is stretched or compressed, or the cross sectional area (and what exactly is the cross sectional area of a wire grid).

Also, in regards to the previous equation, how constant is the resistivity constant of the wire of a strain gauge, is it likely to change with strain or with any other factor?

I appreciate any help or answers anyone can give me. Thanks!

Brent Ellis

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry for missing this. I just noticed this thread.

The gauge factor [tex]S_G[/tex] has a precise definition:

[tex]S_G = \frac{\frac{dR}{R}}{\frac{dL}{L}} = \frac{\frac{dR}{R}}{\epsilon_x}= S_A(1-\nu * K_T) [/tex]

where [tex]S_A[/tex] = Strain sensitivity and [tex]K_T[/tex] = Transverse Sensitivity of the gauge.

and [tex]\epsilon_x[/tex] is the strain in the direction of the gauge.

In strain gauge theory you will see the term [tex]\frac{dR}{R}[/tex] all over the place. R is the gauge resistance.

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
Sorry for missing this. I just noticed this thread.

No, no. You didn't miss it before, I just moved it from the General Engineering forum to the more appropriate Mech & Aero forum a day or so ago. I usually leave a brief note when I move a thread, but I wanted to leave it with 0 replies to help it get more views.

Thanks for the help, Fred!

X1088LoD said:
Also, in regards to the previous equation, how constant is the resistivity constant of the wire of a strain gauge, is it likely to change with strain or with any other factor?
There are tons of things that effect the resistance of the strain gauge. The more accurate your readings need to be, the more things you have to account for. Some of the top hitters are:

-Temperature changes
-Bridge excitation voltages
-Adhesion quality
-Lead wire lengths

1. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a type of sensor used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It consists of a thin wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object and changes its resistance as the object deforms.

2. How does a strain gauge work?

When an object is subject to strain, the strain gauge experiences a change in length or shape, causing the resistance of the wire or foil to change. This change in resistance is then measured and converted into a strain value using a Wheatstone bridge circuit.

3. What are the applications of strain gauges?

Strain gauges are commonly used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering to measure the strain and stress of structures and materials. They are also used in biomechanics to measure the strain on human body parts during physical activities.

4. How accurate are strain gauges?

The accuracy of strain gauges depends on various factors such as the quality of the gauge, the installation method, and the environmental conditions. Generally, strain gauges are very accurate and can measure strains as small as 0.1%. However, they may require calibration to maintain their accuracy over time.

5. Are there different types of strain gauges?

Yes, there are different types of strain gauges such as foil strain gauges, semiconductor strain gauges, and optical strain gauges. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications. For example, foil strain gauges are commonly used for general purpose measurements, while optical strain gauges are suitable for high-temperature environments.