Some questions for non/homogeneous equations

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
what do you do when m=0, do you just have 1 term + a constant?

what do you do when there is only 1 value for m. do you have Ae^mt + Ate^mt or what?

im a little confused.

EDIT
-for differential equations i mean, when youre trying to solve for y and the equation has differentials of y in varying degrees.

Last edited:

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi brandy! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

what's m ? :confused:

can you write out the equation you're referring to?

im just trying to teach myself how to do these equations. they are called either homogeneous differential equations or nonhomogeneous differential equations (which have a homogeneous solution and a particular solution which is combined)
questions like these:
y'' + 2y'+ 3y=0
3y'' +y'= 5 cos (t/4)
for the homogeneous stuff i'm assuming y=e^(mt) t is the variable. and going from there.
sorry i didnt define m :S

btw do i have to use latex for powers like that? does it bother people? i was going to use latex for more complicated things but if it bothers people....

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
you mean m is the root of the characteristic polynomial, and you're asking what if m = 0, or if m is a multiple root?

if m = 0, the solution is a constant (isn't that obvious? :wink:)

if m is a root, n times, then the solution is emt times a polynomial of degree n-1 in t (works for n = 1 also! :biggrin:)
btw do i have to use latex for powers like that? does it bother people? i was going to use latex for more complicated things but if it bothers people....
just use the SUP tags :smile:

i dont quite understand.
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0 solving for y
let y=emt
therefore
m2+2m+3=0 (differentiating y and multiplying out emt
which is
(m+1)2=0
m=-1
so i thought you write it as this, but im not sure. this is part of my question.
y=Ae-t+Bte-t

for
y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0 solving for y
(m+1)(m+2)=0
m=-1 and m=-2
i think you write it as this
y=Ae-t + Be-2t

and yea i had a constant for m=0 but the answer in the textbook didnt include that term.

for
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0 solving for y
and let y=emt
therefore
m2+2m+3=0 (differentiating y and multiplying out e^mt
which is
(m+1)2=0
m=-1
NOTE: We didnt take e^mt because there is no value of m such can bring an answer equal to zero
y=Ae-t+Bte-t

for
y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0 solving for y
(m+1)(m+2)=0
m=-1 and m=-2
i think you write it as this
y=Ae-t + Be-2t

so for your last statement that you have a value for constant for m=0, this also doesn't exist..

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi brandy! :wink:
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0

y=Ae-t+Bte-t

y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0

y=Ae-t + Be-2t
yes, that's all correct :smile:

isn't that what i said?​
and yea i had a constant for m=0 but the answer in the textbook didnt include that term.
sorry, i'm not following you …

what differential equation are you referring to here? :confused:

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If, for example, you had the equation
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ 2\frac{dy}{dx} + y= e^{-t}[/tex]

Then the associated homogeous differential equation is
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ 2\frac{dy}{dx} + y= 0[/tex]
which, as you say, has characteristic equation [itex]m^2+ 2+ 1= (m+1)^2= 0[/itex] which has m= -1 as a double root. Yes, the general solution to that associated homogenous equation is [itex]Ce^{-x}+ Dxe^{-x}[/itex].

Now, to use "undetermined coefficients" to seek a solution to the entire equation, normally, we would try a solution of the form [itex]Ae^{-t}[/itex] but that already satisfies the homogeneous equation. In fact, [itex]Ate^{-t}[/itex] so we would try [itex]At^2e^{-t}[/itex].

Try it yourself: if [itex]y= At^2e^{-t}[/itex], what are y' and y''? What do you get when you put those into the equation? What must A be in order that the equation be satisfied?