Exploring Electromagnetic Induced Transparency in 85Rb Gas

In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment on electromagnetic induced transparency in 85rubidium gas using two stable light sources for probing and coupling. They show the polarization spectrum of rubidium85 and the energy level diagram for the D1 line of 85Rb. They also show their optical system and the signal collected from the detector with and without coupling light. There are two abnormal absorptions in the signal with coupling light and the speaker is seeking input on what they could be. They also provide a reference for more details on the experiment.
hongqiaozhang
TL;DR Summary
recently,I am doing some experiments about electromagnetic induced transparency in the rubidium gas.Comparing the signal with pump light and no pump light, i noticed that there are two strange absorption in the situation of no pump light.
Hello,everyone!
Recently i am doing an experiments about electromagnetic induced transparency in 85rubidum gas.
I have two light source,which use the polarization spectrom frequncy stablizaiton technology to make them stable.One is used for probing light,and the other one is used for coupling light.I will show you the polarization spectrom of rubidium85 below.and this picture is from[1].In this picture,the coupling light is stabilized in Fg=3 -- Fe=2(in blue),and the probing light is scanned in Fg=2--Fe=2,3(in red) with triangular wave.
1658392336617.png

As you can see,I try to built an EIT configuration of Lambda-type.I will show you the energy level diagram for the D1 line of 85Rb.and in this picture,I point out the coupling light and the probing light.
1658393030096.png

Also,I will show you my optical system below
1658393288015.png

Then,I collect the signal from the detector in two situations.one situation is collecting the EIT signal with coupling light,and the other one is without coupling light.I notice that there are two strange absorption on both sides of EIT signal,and i don‘t know what it is.I will show you this signal below.
1658394271118.png

in this picture, the signal from detector without coupling light is in blue,and the signal with coupling light is in yellow.I also show the corresponding scanning polarization spectrom of 85Rb in Fg=2--Fe=2,3.
You can see from this picture,there are two abnormal absorption on both sides of EIT signal campared the signal without coupling light.can anybody tell me what it is?if you need any parameters like the width of these two signal,please don’t hesitate to contact me.or if you have some new thoughts about my experiment,please let me know.
Thank you all!
Hope you have a good day!

[1]Bin Wu,Yin Zhou,Kanxing Weng,et al.Modulation transpfer spetroscopy for D1 transition line of rubidium[J].Journal of the Optical Society of American B,2705-2710(2018)

Attachments

• 1658392080940.png
    1658392080940.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1658394011437.png
    1658394011437.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1658394247872.png
    1658394247872.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
1658395512154.png

I added this picture and you can see more details if you need.

1. What is electromagnetic induced transparency (EIT)?

Electromagnetic induced transparency is a phenomenon that occurs when a medium becomes transparent to a certain frequency of light due to the presence of a control laser. This is achieved by manipulating the energy levels of the medium's atoms, allowing the light to pass through without being absorbed.

2. How is EIT explored in 85Rb gas?

In 85Rb gas, EIT is explored by applying a control laser to a cloud of rubidium atoms. The control laser is tuned to a specific frequency that corresponds to an energy level transition in the atoms. This creates a narrow transparency window in the medium, allowing a probe laser to pass through without being absorbed.

3. What are the applications of studying EIT in 85Rb gas?

Studying EIT in 85Rb gas has many potential applications, including quantum information processing, precision measurements, and optical switching. It can also be used to create slow light and to enhance the sensitivity of atomic clocks.

4. How does EIT in 85Rb gas differ from other EIT systems?

One key difference between EIT in 85Rb gas and other systems is the presence of hyperfine structure in the rubidium atoms. This allows for a more precise control of the energy levels and a narrower transparency window. Additionally, the use of a gas medium allows for easier manipulation and control of the atoms.

5. What are the current challenges in exploring EIT in 85Rb gas?

One of the main challenges in exploring EIT in 85Rb gas is the need for precise control of the control and probe lasers. This requires advanced laser technology and precise tuning of the laser frequencies. Another challenge is the potential for collisions between the atoms, which can affect the transparency window and the overall results of the experiment.