Some very basic Maple help (numtheory)

• Maple
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Maple to run a Pohlig Hellman algorithm for solving discrete logs. The use of the command "ifactor" is mentioned to obtain a result, which returns an array of one or more factors. The question is then asked of how to assign these different factors to separate variables. The response suggests using a for loop and provides resources for further information on this topic.
dkotschessaa
This is EXTREMELY basic. I am using maple to run a Pohlig Hellman algorithm to solve discrete logs.

If I use ifactor to get a result, i.e.

> ifactor(p-1);

(2)3 (5)

How do I assign the output of these different factors to some other variable so I can use them elsewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure exactly what you're asking but I found this Maple Intro pdf that may help.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/2nd_and_3rd_syllabi/mapleprimer.pdf

I hope you don't mean:

> y=ifactor(p-1)

so that y is the 2^3 * 5 value.

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Not sure exactly what you're asking but I found this Maple Intro pdf that may help.

I hope you don't mean:

> y=ifactor(p-1)

so that y is the 2^3 * 5 value.

Not quite. I want to assign the values separately. i.e. I want to assign the 2^3 to one value and the 5 to another. (actually just the 2, I don't need 2^3, but that would have been my next question).

That's a step in the right direction, thanks.

1. What is Maple?

Maple is a computer algebra system (CAS) software used for mathematical computations, data analysis, and visualization. It is commonly used in the fields of engineering, science, and mathematics.

2. How do I input mathematical expressions in Maple?

To input mathematical expressions in Maple, you can either use the standard mathematical notation or the Maple input notation. In the standard notation, you can type the expression as you would write it on paper. In the Maple input notation, you can use special symbols and functions, such as ^ for exponentiation and sqrt() for square root.

3. Can Maple solve equations and systems of equations?

Yes, Maple has powerful solvers that can solve single equations and systems of equations symbolically or numerically. You can use the solve() function to solve equations and the fsolve() function to solve systems of equations numerically.

4. How can I plot graphs in Maple?

To plot graphs in Maple, you can use the plot() function. You can specify the mathematical expression or function you want to plot, the range of values for the independent variable, and any additional options such as the type of graph and labels. Maple also has a built-in graphing calculator that allows you to interactively plot graphs.

5. Is there a way to customize the output in Maple?

Yes, Maple allows you to customize the output to suit your preferences. You can change the format of numbers, use different fonts and colors, and adjust the size and style of mathematical expressions. You can also save your customized settings for future use.