Some work and elastic energy problems

In summary, the conversation revolves around two different physics problems - one involving a skier on a mountain and the other involving a child's toy and a rubber dart. The main issue that the speaker is facing is how to approach and solve the problems using the law of energy conservation. The first problem involves determining the skier's gravitational potential energy at the top of the mountain, while the second problem involves calculating the elastic potential energy of a compressed spring and the speed of a dart after being shot from a toy. The speaker is seeking help and clarification on how to properly organize and solve the problems using the given equations and principles.
Byrgg
I'm having trouble trying to figure out some of the questions from my homework, here are the problems:

1. A 68.5 kg skier rides a 2.56 m ski lift from the base of a mountina to the top. The lift is at an angle of 13.9 degrees to the horizontal. Determine the skier's gravitational potential energy at the top of the mountain relative to the base of the mountain.

Because of the law of conversation of energy that I'm supposed to apply, I figured that the total energy would be the same at both points. But when I tried to figure out the numbers, I got two unknowns, and I wasn't even sure if I had organized the problem properly. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

2. A child's toy shoots a rubber dart of mass 7.8g, using a compressed spring with a force constant of 3.5 x 10^2 N/m. The spring is initially compressed 4.5cm. All the elastic potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the dart.

a) What is the elastic potential energy of the spring?

I got this part.

b) What is the speed of the dart as it leaves the toy?

I was thinking of using [itex]E_k = 1/2mv^2[/itex] to calculate this, is this right?

There's more questions, but I'll get to them after these have been solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Byrgg said:
I'm having trouble trying to figure out some of the questions from my homework, here are the problems:

1. A 68.5 kg skier rides a 2.56 m ski lift from the base of a mountina to the top. The lift is at an angle of 13.9 degrees to the horizontal. Determine the skier's gravitational potential energy at the top of the mountain relative to the base of the mountain.

Because of the law of conversation of energy that I'm supposed to apply, I figured that the total energy would be the same at both points. But when I tried to figure out the numbers, I got two unknowns, and I wasn't even sure if I had organized the problem properly. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

2. A child's toy shoots a rubber dart of mass 7.8g, using a compressed spring with a force constant of 3.5 x 10^2 N/m. The spring is initially compressed 4.5cm. All the elastic potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the dart.

a) What is the elastic potential energy of the spring?

I got this part.

b) What is the speed of the dart as it leaves the toy?

I was thinking of using [itex]E_k = 1/2mv^2[/itex] to calculate this, is this right?

There's more questions, but I'll get to them after these have been solved.

Regarding part 1, you don't need to apply the law of energy conservation, since you're only asked to determine the gravitational potential energy of the skier at the top of the mountain.

Regarding part 2, apply the law of energy conservation.

Part 2 of which question?

Byrgg said:
Part 2 of which question?

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough - question 2, part b.

1. What is work and elastic energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is work and elastic energy related?

Work is required to stretch or compress an object, which results in the storage of elastic energy. This means that the more work that is done on an object, the more elastic energy it will have.

3. What are some examples of work and elastic energy problems?

Some common examples include stretching a spring, compressing a rubber band, pulling back on a slingshot, and lifting weights.

4. How is the amount of elastic energy calculated?

The amount of elastic energy can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object.

5. How can work and elastic energy be applied in real-world situations?

Work and elastic energy are important concepts in engineering and design. They are used to understand the behavior of materials and structures, and are applied in the development of products such as springs, shock absorbers, and bungee cords.