What is the Elastic Potential Energy of a Toy Car's Spring?

In summary, potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state. It can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. A toy car has potential energy when it is stationary at the top of a ramp, and factors such as mass, height, and gravity affect its potential energy. The formula PE = mgh can be used to calculate potential energy for a toy car. As the car rolls down the ramp, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy due to the force of gravity, increasing its velocity.
Leah12
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
The force constant of the spring in a child’s toy car is 550 N/m. How much elastic potential energy is stored in the spring if the spring is compressed a distance of 0.012m?

The formula for spring force is F =kx

When I do 550 x 0.012m I get 6.6 but I am supposed to round my answer four decimal places so I must be doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the formula for spring potential energy, not spring force. (Look it up!)

Likes Leah12
... and state the units in your answer.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the energy that is stored in an object and has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy related to a toy car?

A toy car has potential energy because of its position or state. When the car is stationary at the top of a ramp, it has a higher potential energy compared to when it is at the bottom of the ramp. The higher the car is on the ramp, the more potential energy it has.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a toy car?

The potential energy of a toy car is affected by its mass, height, and the force of gravity. The higher the mass and height of the car, the greater its potential energy. The force of gravity also plays a role in determining the potential energy, as objects on Earth experience a constant force of gravity.

4. How can potential energy be calculated for a toy car?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the car, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth), and h is the height of the car. By plugging in these values, the potential energy of a toy car can be calculated.

5. How can the potential energy of a toy car be converted into kinetic energy?

When a toy car rolls down a ramp, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed. The higher the potential energy of the car, the more kinetic energy it will have as it moves down the ramp. This conversion occurs because of the force of gravity, which accelerates the car and increases its velocity.