Somebody please explain this pic?

• Thread starter redfox55
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the water does not flood out of the holes because the pressure above the water is less than 1 atm.
Physics news on Phys.org
pressure above the water in a tank is less than 1 atm ?

could yoube a little more specific?

Whatta is right. Compare to some bird watering devices.
The upper side of the tanks is airtight and maintained slightly under atmospheric pressure.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i429923_untitled.GIF, if pressure of air p1 plus pressure created by H meters of liquid is equal to pressure of air p2, water does not move. this is the way liquid manometers work. so, if there is no air in the tank, the water will not flood out of the cup that is less than ~1m from its ceiling.

thankyou i think igot a clue

So... is that place a resort for really lazy fishermen or what? :confused:

I think they are feeding the fish.

Same idea as a straw; I'm sure you've done this many times. Suck up some liquid or just put your straw into a liquid and then put your finger on top of it pull the straw out.

Why doesn't the water just fall out of the straw. This is due to the inside and outside pressures.

This would be a good photo to get the students attention when discussing pressure in a high school chemistry class.

I know a guy who tried to patent the whole inverted-fishtank idea.. but in practice I imagine it's a pain to keep the water oxygenated while continually removing any errant air from the top of the container.

whatta said:
water will not flood out of the cup that is less than ~1m from its ceiling.

..isn't that mercury (~700-800mm)? I thought water had to be about 10 metres up before it's weight would produce a vacuum (or likely vapour) at the top.

What is the meaning behind this picture?

The meaning of a picture can vary depending on the viewer's interpretation. It could be a representation of a specific concept, idea, or emotion.

Who created this picture?

The creator of a picture can be a photographer, artist, or graphic designer. It is important to credit the creator when using the picture.

What is the context of this picture?

The context of a picture refers to the circumstances and background in which it was taken or created. This can provide insight into the meaning behind the picture.

What is the significance of the objects/subjects in this picture?

The significance of objects or subjects in a picture can vary depending on the context. They could represent a particular theme or convey a specific message.

How can I interpret this picture?

Interpretation of a picture is subjective and can vary from person to person. It is important to consider the context, creator's intention, and your own perspective when interpreting a picture.