Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be British

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1022757_cool_cash_card_confusion

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: :rofl: That's brilliant!!

But, still, 50% of the British population should go to university :rolleyes:

4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is terrible. I've long been campaigning to change the way maths and science are taught in british schools. Quite an over reaction from camelot though. I doubt there were that many people that couldn't grasp the game.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

News flash: man tries to scam shopkeep, fails.

At least he tried :wink:

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, the one's that scratched off -9 & -10 threw their tickets away, figuring they lost.

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can understand you being ashamed to be British. The Brits can't spell 'color', mispronounce schedule, and now they can't tell which number is higher or lower?!

I blame it on that darned Celsius system. If they used Kelvin, like sensible people, they wouldn't have had a problem.

8. Nov 9, 2007 #7
    Lousy game. I won -1,000,000 pounds.

9. Nov 9, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let's not start this! :smile:

That's true; or we could use a nice sensible scale like Farenheit like you Americans! :rolleyes:

10. Nov 9, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised
    :wink::rofl:

11. Nov 9, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least it might result in some savings in energy. What's up with the temperature in labs always being set to 300 K? Haven't they ever heard of global warming?

I think standard temperature for all physics formulas should be revised to use 293 K.

12. Nov 9, 2007 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And don't let's start with "Aluminum" either.

13. Nov 9, 2007 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

news flash: Lottery Scams Customers, Succeeds :biggrin:

"I blame it on that darned Celsius system. If they used Kelvin, like sensible people, they wouldn't have had a problem."
    And nobody would care about global warming if we used kelvin. I keep my lab at a balmy 300K, so an earth increase of 2 degrees would be 0.67% relative to what I'm used to. Panic! :tongue:

14. Nov 9, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Hey, at least you didn't win -800,000 pounds; that really would have been bad. :biggrin:

15. Nov 9, 2007 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be a good lesson for all those that thought they won. Yes you've all actually won -£1.

16. Nov 10, 2007 #15

matthyaouw

Gold Member

You two can suck my Dictionary (Oxford English of course)! :wink:

Quibbles aside, I really do worry about the intelligence of people sometimes...

17. Nov 10, 2007 #16
    Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, they only recently figured out what a billion is. And that's a positive number.

18. Nov 10, 2007 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, as a half-Brit / half-American, I have half a mind to call that element "Alumininium."

19. Nov 10, 2007 #18
    Don't feel bad, I don't think they would even that that game in America. They know better than to even try.

20. Nov 10, 2007 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When Davy discovered it, he named it alumium, then changed his mind, and went with aluminum. Later the British Chemical Society (or somesuch) decided to change the name to aluminium, in keeping with the general style that was used for naming other elements.

21. Nov 10, 2007 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the meantime someone in america had trademarked the name Aluminium so they stuck with the original spelling.
    The IUPAC standardised on Aluminium for everyone - although they also said we had to spell sulphur as "sulfur" so you probably shoudln't listen to them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?