Sonic boom heard in how much distance x?

• Thread starter leinad0213
  • Start date
In summary, the problem deals with a supersonic plane flying west at an altitude of 11.6 km and a speed of Mach 1.60. The question is asking for the horizontal distance from the plane to the observer at point P when the sonic boom is heard. Using the given information and equations involving the speed of sound, the observer's altitude, and the speed of the plane, the solution involves finding the angle using the inverse sine function and then using the tangent function to solve for the distance. However, it is important to take into account the time it takes for sound to travel to the observer, which can affect the final answer.
leinad0213

Homework Statement

A supersonic plane passes directly over an observer at point P, flying due west at an altitude of 11.6 km and a speed of Mach 1.60. What is the plane's horizontal distance from point P when the sonic boom is heard?

h = 11.6 km
M = 1.6

Homework Equations

sinθ = Vs/Vo
Vo = 548.8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted to solve this problem, I assumed T=20C therefore Vs = 343 m/s. This is because the entire homework set has been using this assumption. Next, I drew a triangle from when the aircraft is directly above the observer's head. I solved for θ and got
θ = sin-1(343/548.8) = 38.68 degrees. Next, I brought time to when the cone hits the observer which makes the triangle tanθ = h/x. I solved for x and got 9.29km. When I put this answer in, it was wrong and I only have 1 try left. Am I missing some kind of conversion or concept? Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
leinad0213 said:

Homework Statement

A supersonic plane passes directly over an observer at point P, flying due west at an altitude of 11.6 km and a speed of Mach 1.60. What is the plane's horizontal distance from point P when the sonic boom is heard?

h = 11.6 km
M = 1.6

Homework Equations

sinθ = Vs/Vo
Vo = 548.8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted to solve this problem, I assumed T=20C therefore Vs = 343 m/s. This is because the entire homework set has been using this assumption. Next, I drew a triangle from when the aircraft is directly above the observer's head. I solved for θ and got
θ = sin-1(343/548.8) = 38.68 degrees. Next, I brought time to when the cone hits the observer which makes the triangle tanθ = h/x. I solved for x and got 9.29km. When I put this answer in, it was wrong and I only have 1 try left. Am I missing some kind of conversion or concept? Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

The sonic boom is the bunching of sound from the plane, is it not. The sound will take quite a while to travel the 11.6 km straight down to you.
In that time, it will have traveled quite a distance forward at the speed it is travelling.
Indeed, in the time sound traveled 11.6 km, the plane has been traveling 1.6 times as fast as the sound.

Looking at your figures - I think you have the have the wrong function with the triangle. You used sin to find the angle, but tan to use it. Should have been the same function both times I think.

1. What exactly is a sonic boom?

A sonic boom is a loud sound caused by an object moving through the air faster than the speed of sound. It is a type of shock wave that creates a sudden increase in air pressure and can be heard as a loud, thunder-like noise.

2. How far can a sonic boom be heard?

The distance that a sonic boom can be heard depends on a variety of factors, such as the size and speed of the object creating the boom, weather conditions, and the sensitivity of the listener's ears. Generally, a sonic boom can be heard up to 25 miles away from the source.

3. What creates a sonic boom?

A sonic boom is created when an object travels through the air at a speed faster than the speed of sound, which is approximately 767 miles per hour at sea level. This can be caused by supersonic aircraft, spacecraft, or even meteorites entering the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Is a sonic boom dangerous?

A sonic boom itself is not dangerous, but it can cause damage to structures and windows due to the sudden increase in air pressure. It can also startle animals and humans, leading to potential injuries. However, measures are taken to minimize the impact of sonic booms and ensure the safety of those in the area.

5. How can we prevent or minimize the impact of sonic booms?

Scientists and engineers are constantly working to develop technologies and design aircraft that can reduce the intensity and frequency of sonic booms. Additionally, regulations and flight paths are put in place to minimize the impact of sonic booms on populated areas.