Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sorry out of pi.

1. Nov 1, 2003 #1

Jug

Sorry....out of pi.

Picked this up elsewhere, but now can't locate....computer language for operating system developed from neuronet AI system with geometric matrix that does not incorporate pi. As I gathered, the language is based upon various geometric configurations where length of line or arc describes a particular letter or sequence of letters or various symbols. Ostensibly, the lack of pi in configuring it all makes the language impervious to hackers. Question: how does one go about correlating line and arc without the aid of pi??? .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2003 #2
    That doesn't really make any sense, I see no correlation between lacking one variable, and the system being impossible to hack. Even if not having pi on a system stopped hackers, you could always just assign the number to a constant like in java for instance:

final double pie = 3.14;

or whatever you want to assign like that.

4. Nov 1, 2003 #3

Jug

Sorry....out of pi

But that's saying pi is a variable - which it is not. Or is it? It has been shown that by the pi quadrature formula the circle can be squared using any pi value. However, as I recall, the given matrix of the system uses no pi value whatever for correlating line and arc of its geometry. How would one go about describing area of the circle not having a pi value???

5. Nov 1, 2003 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Sorry....out of pi

The 'final' part of "final double pi = 3.14" means that the value can't be changed, so it essentially acts as a constant, not a variable.

As for calculating the area of a circle without pi, I imagine there are some numeric methods one could use to get a very good approximation...

6. Nov 2, 2003 #5

Jug

Sorry....out of pi

>>....an approximation.>>

Hmmm....possibly....will work on that.

7. Nov 2, 2003 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

why don't you use the rectangular equation for a circle - (x+a)^2+(y+b)^2=r^2

To get the area you simply intergrate the top portion and multiply by two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?