Sound Problems in Win (Lose) 8.1

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with sound input and output in Windows 8.1, with an error message stating that the Audio Service is not running. The speaker eventually discovers that the system does not recognize any audio devices, despite them being listed and functioning properly in the device manager. They have tried updating drivers and watching YouTube videos, but have not found a solution. Another person suggests that the driver may be corrupted and recommends reinstalling or upgrading to Windows 10. The original speaker expresses their dislike for Windows 8.1 and suggests upgrading to Windows 7 instead.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am having trouble with both sound input and output in windows 8.1. Error message is " The Audio Service is not running". I eventually find out the system believes there are neither audio input nor output devices installed. Still, when I go to device manager, the audio system is clearly listed there, the microphone, speakers and mixers are functioning correctly, so is the audio controller , all according to device manager . I checked that the drivers are updated, but still no sound. I have gone over a few You Tube videos with no success.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Seems the driver is corrupted? Try to reinstall. Maybe think about updating to Win10. It's loads better than 8.1

Likes WWGD
Thank you. Sadly saying something is better than Win 8.1 is sort of like saying someone is nicer than Hitler.

WWGD said:
Thank you. Sadly saying something is better than Win 8.1 is sort of like saying someone is nicer than Hitler.
If you miss 7 then upgrade.

1. Why is there no sound coming from my computer after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

This is a common problem that can be caused by a variety of issues. Some possible solutions include checking your speaker connections and volume settings, updating your audio drivers, and running the Windows troubleshooter for audio problems.

2. How do I fix distorted or crackling sound on Windows 8.1?

This issue can also have multiple causes, such as outdated drivers, software conflicts, or hardware problems. Some potential solutions include updating your drivers, disabling sound effects, and checking for software conflicts.

3. Why is my microphone not working on Windows 8.1?

If your microphone is not working after upgrading to Windows 8.1, it could be due to incorrect privacy settings, outdated drivers, or a hardware issue. To fix this, you can try adjusting your privacy settings, updating your drivers, or testing your microphone on another device.

4. How can I improve the sound quality on Windows 8.1?

If you are experiencing poor sound quality on Windows 8.1, there are a few steps you can take to improve it. These include adjusting your audio settings, updating your drivers, and using an external sound card or speakers.

5. What should I do if I have no sound on specific apps or programs in Windows 8.1?

Sometimes, you may only experience sound problems on certain apps or programs in Windows 8.1. This could be due to incorrect settings, outdated drivers, or compatibility issues. To fix this, you can try adjusting your audio settings, updating your drivers, or contacting the app/program developer for support.