Why Is There No Sound on My Windows 8.1 Laptop?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Hi All,
I am having a problem: no sound coming out of my Windows 8.1 laptop. I updated all the drivers from the
audio inputs ; I got the message that the existing drivers were up-to-date, but still no sound coming out and that all sound-related devices are working correctly.

Thanks for any advice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, and it made a sound. Strange thing is yesterday night there was no problem with the sound at all.
 
I have a desktop with 8.1, so this might not apply to you...

If you click the speaker icon, do you get something that looks kind of like this?

Sprakers.JPG

Or, in the Device Manager, something like this without any yellow flags... after you've scanned for hardware changes?
Device Manager.JPG

If everything kinda looks like the pictures... I don't know what might be the problem... :oldfrown:




​
 
Thanks both, now there is some sound but kind of low in volume even when the level is max. But I was warned Windows is Plug and Pray. Interesting that a video in you Tube about working with RealTek ... has no subtitles, and the instructions are partly spoken.
 
Yes it is a new laptop, but I don't know enough about computers to tell about the hardware.
 
Follow-up: Sound was working perfectly a few days back, and back to no sound now. Checked Sysinternal's Process Explorer (an actually worthwhile version of the task manager) and
noticed that the associated thread was making no use of the CPU, i.e., th CPU use graph is completely flat. Can I somehow use
autorun to get a better understanding?

I also checked the drivers for realtek and there was one , 'GENERICDRV' listed as "not found".
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Follow-up: Sound was working perfectly a few days back, and back to no sound now.

#1 check you haven't pressed a mute button by accident.

#2 if you're using headphones try another pair just in case it's an intermittent connection fault

NB: new computers have a TRRS connector , you'll need an adapter [~$5] to use headphones which have standard TRS connector on such computers.

[ If all else fails do a "system restore" to a date before the problem occurred ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_restore ]
 
Last edited: