Source: Sterling, Brain Teasers, p. 30

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, lateral thinking puzzles are a great way to challenge your mind and have some fun. They involve thinking outside the box and finding creative solutions to seemingly difficult problems. These puzzles often involve logic, riddles, or paradoxes. Some examples include getting a coin out of a bottle without removing the cork, crossing a one-way street in the wrong direction without breaking the law, and throwing a ball and having it come back to you without hitting anything. These puzzles can range from simple to complex and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. So next time you want to exercise your brain and have some fun, try tackling some lateral thinking
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm going to give away the answer to this one and no um ahing and groaning I know it sucks :biggrin:
I've heard that one before. And to think I didn't figure it out.
spoiler:
[color="#black"]Three men were standing in line to get into heaven one day. Apparently it had been a pretty busy day, though, so Peter had to tell the first one, "Heaven's getting pretty close to full today, and I've been asked to admit only people who have had particularly horrible deaths.So what's your story?" So the first man replies: "Well, for a while I've suspected my wife has been cheating on me, so today I came home early to try to catch her red-handed.As I came into my 25th floor apartment, I could tell something was wrong, but all my searching around didn't reveal where this other guy could have been hiding. Finally, I went out to the balcony, and sure enough, there was this man hanging off the railing, 25 floors above ground! By now I was really mad, so I started beating on him and kicking him, but wouldn't you know it, he wouldn't fall off. So finally I went back into my apartment and got a hammer and starting hammering on his fingers. Of course, he couldn't stand that for long, so he let go and fell -- but even after 25 stories, he fell into the bushes, stunned but okay.I couldn't stand it anymore, so I ran into the kitchen, grabbed the fridge and threw it over the edge where it landed on him, killing him instantly. But all the stress and anger got to me, and I had a heart attack and died there on the balcony." "That sounds like a pretty bad day to me," said Peter, and let the man in.

The second man comes up and Peter explains to him about heaven being full, and again asks for his story. "It's been a very strange day. You see, I live on the 26th floor of my apartment building, and every morning I do my exercises out on my balcony. Well, this morning I must have slipped or something, because I fell over the edge. But I got lucky, and caught the railing of the balcony on the floor below me. I knew I couldn't hang on for very long, when suddenly this man burst out onto the balcony. I thought for sure I was saved, when he started beating on me and kicking me. I held on the best I could until he ran into the apartment and grabbed a hammer and started pounding on my hands. Finally I just let go, but again I got lucky and fell into the bushes below, stunned buy all right. Just when I was thinking I was going to be okay, this refrigerator comes falling out of the sky and crushes me instantly, and now I'm here." Once again, Peter had to concede that that sounded like a pretty horrible death.

The third man came to the front of the line, and again the whole process was repeated. Peter explained that heaven was full and asked for his story. "Picture this," says the third man, "I'm hiding naked inside a refrigerator..."
[/color]

Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: very good. I love it.

2 -she wasn't driving
3 generations of females went shopping together
4 -their blind
13 - filling the sacks with something that absorbs water

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm going to give away the answer to this one and no um ahing and groaning I know it sucks :biggrin:

spoiler:
[color="#black"]A large man takes the elevator from the ground floor to the third floor penthouse apartment he shares with his wife. After greeting her, he sees a man's watch on the table and assumes she's been having an affair. Thinking her boyfriend has escaped down the stairs, he rushes to the French windows and sees a good-looking man just leaving the main entrance of the building. Furious, the husband pushes the refrigerator through the window onto the young man below. The young man is killed by the refrigerator. The husband is killed from a heart attack caused by overexertion. The wife's boyfriend, who was hiding inside the refrigerator, is killed from the fall.[/color]

I remember reading this in a book somewhere. The answers to the riddles in that book were insane. I think there was a discalimer saying that the the guy trying to solve the riddle was allowed to ask yes-or-no questions. I remember one of the riddles was something like, "there's a flash of light, a man dies", and the answer was something like, "a dwarf is walking a tight rope and someone takes a photo of him, and the light from the flash blinds him temporarily, causing him to lose his balance, fall and die."

If it is a 2 man race you're first, any more and you're second

brainmetrix said:
Ok here is one: You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position do you finish?
There are other riddles and brain teasers here if someone is interested Brain Games

lol, old school riddle

2nd place

Question 13: Kicked his ass.

No pun intended, honestly.

OK, here's one:

A man walks into a restaurant, orders a bowl of soup. He takes one spoonful, pays and exits the restaurant. Outside, he pulls out a gun and shoots himself dead.

You amy ask any Yes/No questons you want.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
A man walks into a restaurant, orders a bowl of soup. He takes one spoonful, pays and exits the restaurant. Outside, he pulls out a gun and shoots himself dead.
(One of many possible) Answer(s):

He detected the taste of a powerful but slow acting poison in the soup that causes a hideously painful death. He preferred a quick exit.

eom.

Question 13 -

Filled the sacks with sponges :D.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:

He detected the taste of a powerful but slow acting poison in the soup that causes a hideously painful death. He preferred a quick exit.

eom.
No.[ 10 char ]

DaveC426913 said:
No.
I would have said 'Yes'. You forgot the -readmymind parameter.

I'll start you off.

Q: Is his shooting himself related to his tasting of the soup?
A: Yes.

Q: Did the soup taste bad?
A: No.

jimmysnyder said:

eom.

Some other valid answers:

2) The man is a chef at a rival restaurant. He tasted the soup, and it was so good that he decided he could not live in competition with the restaurant at which he was eating.

3) His wife was having an affair. His friend, the chef, promised to deliver the message to him discreetly by serving him a particular kind of soup. If it was chicken soup, she was having an affair, if it was beef, she wasn't. It was chicken.

4) A homicidal maniac had killed the man's daughter, and put some of her into the soup. After he had one taste, this was revealed to him, and the man could not live with himself for having eaten his own daughter.

5) The man is the chef of the restaurant, and had intended to serve their best soup to an important food critic. The food critic had already been served the soup, so the chef, wanting to know what the critic had tasted, ordered the same bowl of soup to be brought to him. When he tasted the soup, he knew it was not good enough to warrant a favorable review from the critic, and so went outside to off himself.

DaveE

No^4.

Silly Dave. You're supposed to ask open questions that narrow down the possibilities. We could grow old and die before you hit on the correct scenario by chance.

DaveC426913 said:
Silly Dave. You're supposed to ask open questions that narrow down the possibilities. We could grow old and die before you hit on the correct scenario by chance.

Given that you knew ahead of time that more information would be necessary, I probably would have preferred it if you provided all the clues necessary in whited out text or something so that we don't have to wait for your input. Anyway, with that in mind, let me just ask a bunch of questions, so I can try and have as much information as expediantly as possible, rather than waiting around each time I ask something:

1) Was the man planning on definitely killing himself before eating the soup (no matter what the outcome)? (I assume no)
2) Was the man planning on potentially killing himself before he ate the soup (IE as a *possible* outcome)?
3) Was the act of tasting the soup that which convinced him to kill himself?
4) Is the taste or flavor of the soup the inspiration for him to kill himself?
5) Did the act of taking the taste (not the flavor itself) make him kill himself? (That is, the act of preparing a spoonful, removing said spoonful from the bowl, or using the spoon with his mouth, etc)
6) Did the soup taste amazingly good?
7) Did the soup taste moderately good?
8) Did the soup taste normal (IE not actually good or bad, just satisfactorily normal)
9) Was the soup itself cooked by someone he knew?
10) Was the soup prepared (IE poured, served) by someone he knew?
11) Was someone he knew intending to make him desire to kill himself?
12) Did the man have a personal connection with the restaurant?
13) Did the man have a professional connection with the restaurant?
14) Was he eating by himself?
15) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of entering the restaurant and ordering soup? (By "significant" I mean a clue that pertains to why he killed himself)
16) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of tasting the soup and paying for his meal? (Like finish the rest of the soup, finish his meal, have a conversation, buy a gun, etc)
17) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of paying for the soup and exiting the restaurant?
18) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of exiting the restaurant and shooting himself?
19) Was it the man's intention to kill himself when he shot himself?
20) Did the man think the act of shooting himself would definitely not kill him?
21) Did the man think the act of shooting himself might not kill him?
22) Did the man think the act of shooting himself would do him injury?
23) Did he take more than one taste of the soup?
24) Did he take a taste of the soup with a spoon from a bowl (as we might expect)?
25) Was he forced by someone to taste the soup?
26) Did he finish any of the rest of his meal?
27) Is there a significant reason he ordered soup instead of something else?
28) Would it be possible for the sake of the riddle to replace soup with (say) wine?
29) Did he ask for a table the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
30) Did he order soup the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
31) Did he eat his soup the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
32) Did he "pay" in the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
33) Did he leave a tip (by tip I mean monetary)?
34) Did he leave a cheap tip?
35) Did he leave an excessive tip?
36) Was someone intentionally communicating a message by means of the soup?
37) Was the message (if applicable) intended for him?
38) Did anyone else taste his soup?
39) Did anyone else expect that he might react badly to the soup?
40) Did anyone else expect that he might kill himself after tasting the soup?
41) Did the man often carry a gun?
42) Was the gun owned by the man?
43) Was the soup a normal variety of soup? (IE something one would find in a typical restaurant)
44) Was the man so dismayed that he elected to commit suicide without outside influence?
45) Was the man influenced or coerced by someone else into committing suicide?
46) Is the man's professional (not necessarily financial) life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
47) Is the man's family life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
48) Is the man's social life (disregarding family) directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
49) Is the man's personal life (IE pride, shame, etc) directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
50) Is the man's religious life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?

Alright, this is going on a bit too long. Answer those and I'll have a go at round 2.

[edit]Admittedly, in re-reading, I notice that it doesn't say he actually ate any of the soup. It says "he takes one spoonful", but it doesn't even say that he took a spoonful of the soup that he ordered. For that matter, it doesn't say that the soup was delivered to him, nor that anyone took his order. It's possible that he's the sole survivor in an atomic aftermath, and that he goes into a restaurant, orders a bowl of soup (which obviously doesn't come), and therefore, in taking a spoonful of nothing, he realizes that he's doomed to be alone, and decides to go kill himself.

Hence, I will posit this as a question:

51) Does the order of events match the following?
A. A healthy, living man enters a restaurant that's normally staffed and open for business
B. The man is seated at a table
C. The man requests of the waitstaff a bowl of soup
D. The waitstaff successfully delivers the bowl of soup to the man
E. The restaurant has provided a spoon for the man
F. The man uses the spoon provided to taste at least one "bite" of the soup that was delivered to him
G. The man pays for his meal
H. The waitstaff accepts his payment
I. The man exits the restaurant
J. The man puts a gun in his hand
K. The man shoots himself with the gun
L. The resulting gunshot kills the man

If the answer to the above is "no", then it's safe to assume that questions 52 through 63 are whether are not A - L above are true.
[/edit]

DaveE

Last edited:
davee123 said:
Given that you knew ahead of time that more information would be necessary, I probably would have preferred it if you provided all the clues necessary in whited out text or something so that we don't have to wait for your input.
I'm not sure how that would work. I'd have to second-guess what questions you'd ask. I whole point of the exercise is asking the right questions.

davee123 said:
1) Was the man planning on definitely killing himself before eating the soup (no matter what the outcome)? (I assume no)
No.
davee123 said:
2) Was the man planning on potentially killing himself before he ate the soup (IE as a *possible* outcome)?
Yes.
davee123 said:
3) Was the act of tasting the soup that which convinced him to kill himself?
Yes.
davee123 said:
4) Is the taste or flavor of the soup the inspiration for him to kill himself?
Yes.
davee123 said:
5) Did the act of taking the taste (not the flavor itself) make him kill himself? (That is, the act of preparing a spoonful, removing said spoonful from the bowl, or using the spoon with his mouth, etc)
No.
davee123 said:
6) Did the soup taste amazingly good?
No.
davee123 said:
7) Did the soup taste moderately good?
No.
davee123 said:
8) Did the soup taste normal (IE not actually good or bad, just satisfactorily normal)
Yes.
davee123 said:
9) Was the soup itself cooked by someone he knew?
No.
davee123 said:
10) Was the soup prepared (IE poured, served) by someone he knew?
No.
davee123 said:
11) Was someone he knew intending to make him desire to kill himself?
No.
davee123 said:
12) Did the man have a personal connection with the restaurant?
No.
davee123 said:
13) Did the man have a professional connection with the restaurant?
No.
davee123 said:
14) Was he eating by himself?
Yes.
davee123 said:
15) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of entering the restaurant and ordering soup? (By "significant" I mean a clue that pertains to why he killed himself)
No.
davee123 said:
16) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of tasting the soup and paying for his meal? (Like finish the rest of the soup, finish his meal, have a conversation, buy a gun, etc)
No.
davee123 said:
17) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of paying for the soup and exiting the restaurant?
No.
davee123 said:
18) Did he do anything else significant between the acts of exiting the restaurant and shooting himself?
No.
davee123 said:
19) Was it the man's intention to kill himself when he shot himself?
Yes.
davee123 said:
20) Did the man think the act of shooting himself would definitely not kill him?
No.
davee123 said:
21) Did the man think the act of shooting himself might not kill him?
No.
davee123 said:
22) Did the man think the act of shooting himself would do him injury?
Yes.
davee123 said:
23) Did he take more than one taste of the soup?
No.
davee123 said:
24) Did he take a taste of the soup with a spoon from a bowl (as we might expect)?
Yes.
davee123 said:
25) Was he forced by someone to taste the soup?
No.
davee123 said:
26) Did he finish any of the rest of his meal?
No.
davee123 said:
27) Is there a significant reason he ordered soup instead of something else?
Yes.
davee123 said:
28) Would it be possible for the sake of the riddle to replace soup with (say) wine?
No.
davee123 said:
29) Did he ask for a table the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
No.
davee123 said:
30) Did he order soup the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
Yes.
davee123 said:
31) Did he eat his soup the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
Yes.
davee123 said:
32) Did he "pay" in the way a normal customer at a restaurant would?
Yes.
davee123 said:
33) Did he leave a tip (by tip I mean monetary)?
34) Did he leave a cheap tip?
35) Did he leave an excessive tip?
Um. I don't know. Would a man who's about to commit suicide leave a tip?
davee123 said:
36) Was someone intentionally communicating a message by means of the soup?
No.
davee123 said:
37) Was the message (if applicable) intended for him?
As above.
davee123 said:
38) Did anyone else taste his soup?
No.
davee123 said:
39) Did anyone else expect that he might react badly to the soup?
Yes.
davee123 said:
40) Did anyone else expect that he might kill himself after tasting the soup?
No.
davee123 said:
41) Did the man often carry a gun?
No.
davee123 said:
42) Was the gun owned by the man?
Irrelevant.
davee123 said:
43) Was the soup a normal variety of soup? (IE something one would find in a typical restaurant)
Not really.
davee123 said:
44) Was the man so dismayed that he elected to commit suicide without outside influence?
Too vague.
davee123 said:
45) Was the man influenced or coerced by someone else into committing suicide?
No.
davee123 said:
46) Is the man's professional (not necessarily financial) life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
No.
davee123 said:
47) Is the man's family life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
Sort of.
davee123 said:
48) Is the man's social life (disregarding family) directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
No.
davee123 said:
49) Is the man's personal life (IE pride, shame, etc) directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
Yes.
davee123 said:
50) Is the man's religious life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
Sort of.

davee123 said:
Alright, this is going on a bit too long. Answer those and I'll have a go at round 2.

[edit]Admittedly, in re-reading, I notice that it doesn't say he actually ate any of the soup. It says "he takes one spoonful", but it doesn't even say that he took a spoonful of the soup that he ordered. For that matter, it doesn't say that the soup was delivered to him, nor that anyone took his order. It's possible that he's the sole survivor in an atomic aftermath, and that he goes into a restaurant, orders a bowl of soup (which obviously doesn't come), and therefore, in taking a spoonful of nothing, he realizes that he's doomed to be alone, and decides to go kill himself.

Hence, I will posit this as a question:

51) Does the order of events match the following?
A. A healthy, living man enters a restaurant that's normally staffed and open for business
B. The man is seated at a table
C. The man requests of the waitstaff a bowl of soup
D. The waitstaff successfully delivers the bowl of soup to the man
E. The restaurant has provided a spoon for the man
F. The man uses the spoon provided to taste at least one "bite" of the soup that was delivered to him
G. The man pays for his meal
H. The waitstaff accepts his payment
I. The man exits the restaurant
J. The man puts a gun in his hand
K. The man shoots himself with the gun
L. The resulting gunshot kills the man

If the answer to the above is "no", then it's safe to assume that questions 52 through 63 are whether are not A - L above are true.
[/edit]

DaveE
Yes. All things about the restaurant, staff and patrons are normal; and about him entering the restaurant, ordering and tasting the soup, paying and leaving are outwardly normal. (By outwardly, I am excluding his thoughts and decisions, which, of course, were not those of a happy man).

Last edited:
Was it albatross soup?

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure how that would work. I'd have to second-guess what questions you'd ask. I whole point of the exercise is asking the right questions.

Yeah, it's more of a 20 questions game rather than a Brain Teaser, I guess. Interesting in some regards, but atypical because we're known from the start not to be able to correctly get the answer before more information is given.

DaveC426913 said:
Um. I don't know. Would a man who's about to commit suicide leave a tip?

Why would a man who's about to commit suicide bother to pay for his meal, which was clearly stated in the question? Why would he bother to leave the restaurant? Clearly, I'd say the question is warranted because something is already amiss if the man is bothering to pay for his meal. I was trying to establish the manner in which he paid.

The point of the question is to establish the normalcy to which he treated the waiter and his meal experience. If he tipped the waiter normally, then chances are he had no quarrel with the waiter. If the waiter had done something mean-spirited, however, it might be expected that although the man paid (which you established), that he did not leave a tip at all or left a small one. Alternatively, it's possible that the waiter did exactly what the man wanted, and that the man was asking for something outrageous that the waiter did anyway. In this case, the man was likely happy with the waiter (depite the fact that he was about to kill himself), and would likely tip the waiter generously.

So. The things that seemed enlightening:

> 3) Was the act of tasting the soup that which convinced him to kill himself?
> Yes.
> 4) Is the taste or flavor of the soup the inspiration for him to kill himself?
> Yes.
> 8) Did the soup taste normal (IE not actually good or bad, just satisfactorily normal)
> Yes.
> 27) Is there a significant reason he ordered soup instead of something else?
> Yes.

So, it's not some other factor than the soup that makes his decision, thereby we know it's not some sort of signal he was giving to someone else, but that the decision was made at the moment he tasted the soup. Further, from questions asked later, we know that there's nothing unusual going on, like someone delivering him new information on the spot that convinces him to kill himself.

> 2) Was the man planning on potentially killing himself before he ate the soup (IE as
> a *possible* outcome)?
> Yes.

So, he apparently was prepared to kill himself already. The act of eating the soup therefore was probably some sort of test he devised beforehand to test the validity of a suspicion he had. IE, "if the soup tastes like X, I'll have to kill myself, if the soup tastes like Y, I won't". And, just to be sure:

52) Did he plan before coming to the restaurant to order the soup in particular as a test to see whether he should kill himself?

I assume if the answer is "no", that it's more a matter of timing. Therefore, in anticipation of a "no":

53) Did he plan before being seated at the restaurant to order the soup in particular as a test to see whether he should kill himself?
54) Did he plan before ordering the soup to order the soup in particular as a test to see whether he should kill himself?
55) Did he plan before eating the soup to use the taste of the soup as a test to see whether he should kill himself?

> 39) Did anyone else expect that he might react badly to the soup?
> Yes.
> 40) Did anyone else expect that he might kill himself after tasting the soup?
> No.

That's ... odd. The implication is that someone else knows the reason *why* he killed himself, but was not aware of the strength of the man's convictions. That is (for example) someone else knew he might learn of his wife's affair (say), but nobody else suspected that he might kill himself for learning of it. Alternatively, it's possible that whoever knew he might react badly did not know the *full* implications of what would be revealed through eating the soup. Ok, then:

56) Were the reasons the man killed himself known to anyone else before he did so?
57) Did anyone know that he was actually going to go and try the soup?

> 47) Is the man's family life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
> Sort of.
> 49) Is the man's personal life (IE pride, shame, etc) directly involved with the
> decision to shoot himself?
> Yes.
> 50) Is the man's religious life directly involved with the decision to shoot himself?
> Sort of.

... Well, that's pretty wide open, but sounds like he's ashamed of something-- sort of religious, sort of familial.

58) Did the man kill himself for being ashamed of something?
(assuming yes...)
59) Was the man ashamed of something he had done?
60) Was the man ashamed of something someone else had done?
61) Was he ashamed of something he did to nobody in particular (IE a job badly done or personal shortcoming)
62) Was he ashamed of something he did to somebody else?
63) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done directly to him?
64) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done to someone apart from him directly?
65) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done to nobody in particular? (Again, a shoddy job, or disbelief in something ,etc)

> 43) Was the soup a normal variety of soup? (IE something one would find in a
> typical restaurant)
> Not really.

... Ok ... I guess this means either it was a special order soup (one that wasn't on the menu), or it was a rare thing to order, and isn't typically available at other restaurants (IE it's a specialty restaurant of some type).

66) Was the type of soup he ordered on the menu?
67) Did the man ask for some sort of special treatment of a normal dish? That is, did he order something like a "normal" chicken soup, but ask that it have some sort of special treatment?
68) Did he order soup that wasn't on the menu, but without any special treatment? As in, did he order something unusual like penguin soup, but not give any further special instruction?
69) Did he order a soup from off the menu, with further special treatment?
70) Did he accurately receive the soup that he ordered? (IE, did the soup receive special treatment or wind up unusual without his asking for the unusualness?)

Assuming there was some sort of special treatment for the soup:

71) Was something added to the soup?
72) Was something withheld from the soup?
73) Was the soup prepared in a different manner? (IE boiling too long, etc)
74) If something was added, was it something someone would normally expect in a soup?
75) Again, assuming an added ingredient, was it something someone would not expect in a soup, but something that would normally be served at a restaurant?
76) Again, assuming addition, was the addition edible?
77) Again, assuming addition, was the addition something that is normally eaten?

DaveE

jimmysnyder said:
Was it albatross soup?
Ahem. Yes.

davee123 said:
Yeah, it's more of a 20 questions game rather than a Brain Teaser, I guess.
Yes. I was follwing from the earlier posts, which were similar.

davee123 said:
52) Did he plan before coming to the restaurant to order the soup in particular as a test to see whether he should kill himself?
Yes.

davee123 said:
That's ... odd. The implication is that someone else knows the reason *why* he killed himself, but was not aware of the strength of the man's convictions.

davee123 said:
56) Were the reasons the man killed himself known to anyone else before he did so?
No (though it might have been surmised afterward.)

davee123 said:
57) Did anyone know that he was actually going to go and try the soup?
No.

davee123 said:
58) Did the man kill himself for being ashamed of something?
(assuming yes...)
59) Was the man ashamed of something he had done?
Yes. Yes.
davee123 said:
60) Was the man ashamed of something someone else had done?
Tricky. Umm. Not directly relevant.

davee123 said:
61) Was he ashamed of something he did to nobody in particular (IE a job badly done or personal shortcoming)
62) Was he ashamed of something he did to somebody else?
No. Yes.

davee123 said:
63) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done directly to him?
64) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done to someone apart from him directly?
65) Was he ashamed of something someone else had done to nobody in particular? (Again, a shoddy job, or disbelief in something ,etc)
No. no. no.

davee123 said:
66) Was the type of soup he ordered on the menu?
67) Did the man ask for some sort of special treatment of a normal dish? That is, did he order something like a "normal" chicken soup, but ask that it have some sort of special treatment?
68) Did he order soup that wasn't on the menu, but without any special treatment? As in, did he order something unusual like penguin soup, but not give any further special instruction?
69) Did he order a soup from off the menu, with further special treatment?
70) Did he accurately receive the soup that he ordered? (IE, did the soup receive special treatment or wind up unusual without his asking for the unusualness?)
Tricky. Whether it was on the menu or not is not really relevant. It was an unusual type of soup, yes. He receive that soup, yes. no, it was not treated unusually.

davee123 said:
71) Was something added to the soup?
72) Was something withheld from the soup?
73) Was the soup prepared in a different manner? (IE boiling too long, etc)
74) If something was added, was it something someone would normally expect in a soup?
75) Again, assuming an added ingredient, was it something someone would not expect in a soup, but something that would normally be served at a restaurant?
76) Again, assuming addition, was the addition edible?
77) Again, assuming addition, was the addition something that is normally eaten?
All no.

DaveC426913 said:
Ahem. Yes.

Huh, I guess I hadn't heard that one before. So, effectively, my original answer #4 was more-or-less correct, at least in terms of the reasoning-- he could not live with himself for having eaten someone. That's a relief, I suppose, since those 5 options (the 4 I suggested, plus jimmy's) were the only basic underlying principles I could think of, even if the details differed. That is:

1) By tasting the soup, he knew he was going to suffer, and so killed himself to avoid the suffering
2) By tasting the soup, he is ashamed at his own competance
3) He is delivered bad news via the flavor of the soup
4) He cannot live with himself for having eaten someone (whose flavor is revealed in the soup)

Hm... And I guess that 5th option was more of a variant on the 2nd, really-- that of shame of his own incompetance.

DaveE

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this before but it's quite lateral.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/365143

8mb: takes a while to load, fiendishly impossible and addictive flash quiz.

For those who haven't got time to wait, here's one that's not too hard.

Dennis hated doing the laundry, so his mother told him that if he was out after 1am, then for each 15 minutes he was late he'd have to do one extra load of laundry. However one day he arrived home half an hour after 1am, but he waited outside for 30 more minutes before going in. Why would he do that?

Know this one a long time already. And I agree: It's somewhat impossible. I gave up after like 2 weeks trying to finish that.

As for the first post in this thread I'll try to give the answers as I've never done it:

1.) Pull the cork in
2.) She was on foot
3.) Throw it upwards
4.) They are not facing each other, got their eyes closed - etc. Or the table is stacked vertically
5.) True. Only two capital T
6.) Train B.
7.) A bridge, probably?
8.) None
9.) One time. Afterwards it's 30 you are subtracting from
10.) Nelly
11.) These where gradmother, mother and daughter
12.) None. The boat soars
13.) Put sand in the bags so they would get heavier
14.) "Where would you send people, asking you the way to Trueville, if you were from the other town?" Then walk the opposite way.
15.) Hm... the cheaper one?
16.) One cat, one dog

100%? Well, I will check the answers.

€: As regards 15.) I didn't get the point. I understood that the barber "did", not "has" a bad haircut. Well I'd have answered this correctly, too, if I just have had read it correctly.

Last edited:
for 9 I can subtract 2 from 32 at LEAST seventeen times, watch:
32-2 = 30
32-2 = 30
32-2 = 30 and so forth.

1. a) Drill a hole in either the cork or the bottle.
b) The cork has a hole in it.
c) The cork was never actually pushed into the opening of the bottle; turn the bottle upside down.
d) Push the cork all the way through the opening of the bottle.
e) Heat the bottle, expanding the glass--or melting it for that matter.

2. She was not driving down the street.

3. You throw the ball straight up in the air.

4. One is sitting on top of the desk, the other under; the desk blocks their views.

5. True. The question is asked whether or not there are two T's in the phrase, meaning capital T's.

6. Assuming that they might side by side, they will be the same distance from the coast.

7. There was a bridge across the river, or some other means of travel--such as a boat--that prevented Scuffy from getting wet.

8. There is not dirt, a hole is empty space.

9. Assuming that you do not add two after subtracting, you can only subtract once; after you subtract 2 from 32, you are no longer subtracting from 32.

10. If the dog's names were Blackie, Whitey, and Brownie, then the fourth dog's name must be Nelly.

11. The shoppers were grandmother, mother, and daughter.

12. None of the rungs will be underwater since the boat is floating.

13. He took a different route, one that did not involve passing a stream, to the market.

14. He could ask her if she was a girl--or any other obvious question for that matter. If she said yes then she was from Trueville, or vice versa.

15. Go to the barber with the bad haircut. His shop is covered in hair, indicating that he has recently had a lot of customers and has not had sufficient time to cut his own hair. A second way to look at this is that a barber cannot cut his own hair. From this fact one can deduce that the barber with the clean shop gave the other his haircut.

16. She has one cat and one dog.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this before but it's quite lateral.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/365143

8mb: takes a while to load, fiendishly impossible and addictive flash quiz.

For those who haven't got time to wait, here's one that's not too hard.

End of day light saving's...clock gets pushed back an hour, oila not late

DaveC426913 said:
OK, here's one:

You amy ask any Yes/No questons you want.

I just found this thread but no answer was ever given!
why did the guy kill himself Dave?

texasblitzem said:
I just found this thread but no answer was ever given!
why did the guy kill himself Dave?
A ship sinks in the ocean and three survivors are washed up on the shore of a deserted island. They have nothing to eat, but albatross are abundant. For many days, they try to catch an albatross without success. Near starvation, one survivor kills another and cooks him up in a soup. He serves it to the other survivor telling him that it is albatross soup. When he asks what happened to the other survivor, he tells him that he went crazy, tried to swim away and drowned. Years later, after they are rescued, he sees a sign on a restaurant saying 'Albatross soup'.

For he realized by the taste that he was a cannibal.

Oh, well now that's a perfectly plausible situation. Thanks!

When we eat out, there's a 5 star restaurant in town, Chez Lounge, that I like a great deal. But a new 4 star restaurant, Le Roi de la Hache, opened up nearby, and my wife dragged me over there, my fingernails scraping the ground as we went. Determined to make the best of a bad situation, I ordered a roasted wild mushroom soup with pickled spring onions and toasted almond. Much to my dismay, it was better than the chow you get at Chez. I don't think I'm going to kill myself over it, but I have a friend who has never been inside of a 4-star and he just might.

Where can I find these kinds of puzzles online? Any links to specific websites?