South Carolina is being invaded by Armadillos

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
13 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
Messages
16,110
Reaction score
8,522
TL;DR
...by armadillos.
I saw my first live armadillo this morning, a few blocks from my house.

armadillo.jpg


A few weeks ago, I saw a dead one next to one of our main streets.

Armadillos are Increasing Their Presence in South Carolina (SC Public Radio)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Drakkith
Biology news on Phys.org
Or they got tired of being run over. "In Texas, there ain't nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50 and Drakkith
Looks like that guy decided he likes it here. Today I saw his family.

armadillos.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and dlgoff
Just stay away from the tails and you should be okay. They have poisonous barbs on them. I read that somewhere... :oldeyes:
 
jtbell said:
I saw his family.
They give birth to identical quadruplets. Or so I was told by someone who studied them in grad school/
 
Vanadium 50 said:
They give birth to identical quadruplets. Or so I was told by someone who studied them in grad school/
True. Its used to get identical octoples (twins times 4) for certain studies
 
Armadillos are a sign that fire ants are in your region because they are the only known natural predator for that invasive ant species.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: jtbell and BillTre
We definitely have fire ants around here, although fortunately we don't have any in our lawn right now.
 
I hear the nutty Texans use them for racing. It's at least a little bit surprising, as it sounds more like something the Florida Man would do.
 
Do you have many coyotes where you are? They seem to have figured out how to eat Armadillos.

Of course their biggest thread is the skylark.
The Buick Skylark.
 
Last edited: