Space Question -- If I kept going down past the solar system....

In summary, if a person were to travel downward in space, they would eventually come to a point where they could not see or know anything beyond that point.
Alexis Deitz
Okay, so if I we're in space and I kept going down past the solar system, what would I find? would there be another universe? Or would there be a flat surface?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Huh ?

Define "down" in this context. What kind of "flat surface" do you imagine.

I really can't make any sense out of this question, but It definitely would not be another universe, whatever it is you are talking about.

Likes davenn
If I entered space and continued traveling downward what would I discover?

Alexis Deitz said:
If I entered space and continued traveling downward what would I discover?
AGAIN, define "downward".

I think you need to study some basic cosmology.

Thinkin' 2-D in a 3-D realm ...

Likes davenn
I think we have to assume that this whole thread was started as a joke and just ignore it. If it was not, then, Alexis Deitz, come back and explain what you are asking and, in particular, answer the question you have been asked twice, "what do you mean by down?"

The universe is relative their is no fixed point so there is no clear direction also our 3 dimensional universe is expanding in all directions so simply by going in a certain direction will not cause you to go to a different universe although interestingly some scientists say their might be another universe in a singularity beyond the event horizon but good luck experimentally confirming or denying that theory.

electric jake said:
The universe is relative their is no fixed point so there is no clear direction also our 3 dimensional universe is expanding in all directions so simply by going in a certain direction will not cause you to go to a different universe although interestingly some scientists say their might be another universe in a singularity beyond the event horizon but good luck experimentally confirming or denying that theory.
Helluva sentence!

Likes davenn and nasu

1. What would happen if I kept going past the solar system?

If you continued traveling beyond the solar system, you would eventually reach interstellar space. This is the vast expanse of space between stars. The distance between stars is extremely large, so you would continue traveling for a very long time before reaching the nearest star system.

2. Would I encounter any other objects besides stars?

Yes, as you travel through interstellar space, you may encounter other objects such as comets, asteroids, and even interstellar dust. These objects are much less dense than those found within the solar system, so the chances of encountering them are very low.

3. Is there an end to the universe?

Currently, scientists do not know if there is an end to the universe. The universe is constantly expanding, so it is possible that it stretches on infinitely. However, some theories suggest that the universe may eventually collapse in on itself, leading to an end.

4. How fast would I have to travel to reach the edge of the universe?

The universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light-years across. To reach the edge of the universe in one human lifetime, you would have to travel at a speed faster than the speed of light, which is currently impossible according to the laws of physics.

5. Would I encounter any other forms of life in space?

So far, there is no evidence of any other forms of life in space besides those on Earth. However, given the vastness of the universe, it is possible that there may be other forms of life out there. Scientists continue to search for signs of extraterrestrial life through various methods such as searching for habitable planets and listening for signals from other civilizations.