Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Question -- If I kept going down past the solar system...

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    Okay, so if I we're in space and I kept going down past the solar system, what would I find? would there be another universe? Or would there be a flat surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Huh ?

Define "down" in this context. What kind of "flat surface" do you imagine.

I really can't make any sense out of this question, but It definitely would not be another universe, whatever it is you are talking about.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    If I entered space and continued traveling downward what would I discover?

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

AGAIN, define "downward".

I think you need to study some basic cosmology.

6. Dec 4, 2015 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Dec 4, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thinkin' 2-D in a 3-D realm ...

8. Dec 4, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think we have to assume that this whole thread was started as a joke and just ignore it. If it was not, then, Alexis Deitz, come back and explain what you are asking and, in particular, answer the question you have been asked twice, "what do you mean by down?"

9. Dec 4, 2015 #8
    The universe is relative their is no fixed point so there is no clear direction also our 3 dimensional universe is expanding in all directions so simply by going in a certain direction will not cause you to go to a different universe although interestingly some scientists say their might be another universe in a singularity beyond the event horizon but good luck experimentally confirming or denying that theory.

10. Dec 4, 2015 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Helluva sentence!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook