Space ship traveling time from tail to nose help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the speed of an object, its distance, and time are given. One person asks for help in finding where they went wrong in their solution, while another points out that they used the wrong distance in their calculation. The correct method is to find the time for the object to completely pass a given point.
seto6

Homework Statement

question
2hoiqol.jpg

Solution
mm50yc.jpg

Homework Equations

given in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the question exactly like how they did it. expect i did not add the length contraction of 923m to 1000m, then find time.. what i did was find the speed with respect to me which was 0.385c
so d=vt t =d/v= 8.8*10-6 s

can some one tell me where i went wrong.pls.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
seto6 said:
i did the question exactly like how they did it. expect i did not add the length contraction of 923m to 1000m, then find time.. what i did was find the speed with respect to me which was 0.385c
so d=vt t =d/v= 8.8*10-6 s
You used the wrong distance. You found the time for the nose of Orion to go from the tail to the nose of Sirius, but that's not the same as for Orion to completely pass. Draw a diagram for yourself (or just study the one given).

oh i see i got it thanks Doc

1. How long does it take for a space ship to travel from its tail to its nose?

The time it takes for a space ship to travel from its tail to its nose depends on various factors such as the speed of the ship, the distance between the tail and nose, and any potential obstacles in the way. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

2. What is the average speed of a space ship traveling from its tail to its nose?

The average speed of a space ship traveling from its tail to its nose can vary greatly depending on the type of ship and its propulsion system. However, most modern space ships can travel at speeds of thousands of kilometers per hour.

3. Can a space ship travel from its tail to its nose faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object to travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, a space ship cannot travel from its tail to its nose faster than the speed of light.

4. How does traveling from tail to nose affect the astronauts on board?

The experience of traveling from tail to nose can vary for astronauts depending on the speed of the ship and the acceleration forces they experience. In some cases, it can cause motion sickness or disorientation, but with proper training and technology, these effects can be minimized.

5. Are there any risks associated with traveling from tail to nose in space?

As with any form of space travel, there are always risks involved. These can include technical malfunctions, exposure to radiation, and potential collisions with debris. However, with proper safety measures and precautions, these risks can be minimized.