When Will the Proton Meet the Rear of the Ship?

In summary: According to frame S the proton will hit the rear of the ship at time t=L/w=2.29 microseconds after being fired.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

The figure shows a ship (attached to reference frame S') passing us (standing in reference frame S) with velocity http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/shared/assignment/test/session.quest2564447entrance1_N1002E.mml?size=14&ver=1463885870814 = 0.952chttp://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/shared/assignment/test/session.quest2564447entrance1_N1004A.mml?size=14&ver=1463885870814 . A proton is fired at speed 0.976c relative to the ship from the front of the ship to the rear. The proper length of the ship is 760 m. What is the temporal separation between the time the proton is fired and the time it hits the rear wall of the ship according to (a) a passenger in the ship and (b) us? Suppose that, instead, the proton is fired from the rear to the front. What then is the temporal separation between the time it is fired and the time it hits the front wall according to (c) the passenger and (d) us?

Homework Equations

L=L0*sqrt(1-ß^2)
t=t0/sqrt(1-ß^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a and c are easy, I simply used time=distance/speed since for the passenger it is the rest frame. However I was not able to get part b or d correct. I calculated the contacted length L=760*sqrt(1-0.952^2)=232.6344979m. And then calculated the time interval to be t=L/0.976c=0.798 microsecond. This was not the correct solution so I combined the velocities using the formula:
u + v
w = ---------
1 + uv/c2
where u=0.952c and v=-0.976c, and got t=L/w=2.29microsec

Please let me know which part I did wrong thanks heaps!

Attachments

• Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 495
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
so I combined the velocities using the formula:
u + v
w = ---------
1 + uv/c2
where u=0.952c and v=-0.976c, and got t=L/w=2.29microsec
The proton doesn't travel the distance L relative to frame S. The ship moves to the right while the proton is traveling from the front to the rear of the ship.

TSny said:
The proton doesn't travel the distance L relative to frame S. The ship moves to the right while the proton is traveling from the front to the rear of the ship.
Would it be shorter than L? L=ϒ(x-vt)?

i_hate_math said:
Would it be shorter than L? L=ϒ(x-vt)?
I don't think so. But I don't know what values of x and t you intend to use here.

Since the ship has length L in frame S, the proton is a distance L from the rear of the ship at the instant it is fired according to frame S. As the proton is traveling towards the rear at speed w (relative to S) the rear is traveling to the right (relative to S). When will the proton meet the rear of the ship?

What is the Special Relativity Problem?

The Special Relativity Problem is a scientific concept that deals with the relationship between space and time, specifically how they are perceived by observers in different frames of reference. It was first introduced by Albert Einstein in 1905 and has since been widely accepted as a cornerstone of modern physics.

What is the difference between Special Relativity and General Relativity?

Special Relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in inertial frames of reference, while General Relativity extends this concept to include non-inertial frames of reference and the effects of gravity. Special Relativity is a special case of General Relativity, and both theories are used to explain different aspects of the universe.

What is the significance of the speed of light in Special Relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol 'c', is a fundamental constant in Special Relativity and is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel. This means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, as long as they are not traveling at the speed of light.

What is time dilation in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This is a consequence of the constant speed of light and is one of the key principles of Special Relativity. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments, including the famous "twin paradox".

How does Special Relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding space and time. It has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and has inspired further research in fields such as quantum mechanics and cosmology. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds and in extreme conditions.