Spaceship Time dilation problem

In summary: However, the travel time according to the passenger on the spaceship will be harder to find. To calculate it, you first need to know the speed of the spaceship relative to the Earth, which can be found using v=c*d. Then you need to calculate the difference in time, delta(t'), between the Earth and spaceship clocks.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A spaceship departs from Earth for the star Alpha Centauri whic is 4 light years away. The spaceship travels at .75c. Howlong does it take to get there (a) as measured on Earth and (b) as measured by by a passenger on the spaceship

Homework Equations

proper time = delta(t')=2D/v

delta(t)=delta(t')/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a, the observer is going to the measured that the Earth travels at the speed of light, so I would used the equation , delta=delta(t')/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

In part b, the observer on the spaceship is going to measured the proper time and will not notice that the spaceship is traveling closed to the speed of light . so he will used the equation delta(t') =2D/v= 2*(4*light*years)/(.75c)

Are both my observations correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it a bit backwards. It's the Earth observer who sees the ship move at 0.75c, so the Earth observer simply says the trip takes T = D/V. (Not 2D/V !)

(Note that the distance is 4 light years according to Earth observers; the spaceship observers measure a different distance.)

Doc Al said:
You have it a bit backwards. It's the Earth observer who sees the ship move at 0.75c, so the Earth observer simply says the trip takes T = D/V. (Not 2D/V !)

(Note that the distance is 4 light years according to Earth observers; the spaceship observers measure a different distance.)
How do I have it backwards when the observers on Earth who are at rest are going to see the ship approach the speed of light and therefore , in the inertial frame containing the observers of the earth, time will seem slower. For the person

I didn't think I needed to find the distance the passenger on the spaceship measures from the spaceship to the Earth since the time dilation formula contains the proper time interval. delta(t) =delta(t')/gamma

Benzoate said:
How do I have it backwards when the observers on Earth who are at rest are going to see the ship approach the speed of light and therefore , in the inertial frame containing the observers of the earth, time will seem slower.
It's certainly true that Earth observers will view the moving clocks on the spaceship as running slow. Thus the travel time according to Earth observers will be longer than the travel time according to the spaceship clock.

I didn't think I needed to find the distance the passenger on the spaceship measures from the spaceship to the Earth since the time dilation formula contains the proper time interval. delta(t) =delta(t')/gamma
It's also true that you don't need to find the distance according to spaceship observers (that's why it was a parenthetical remark). But in order to use the time dilation formula, you need to start by calculating one of the times. The travel time according to Earth observers is easy to find using D = V*T, since you know the distance and speed as measured by Earth observers.

What is spaceship time dilation?

Spaceship time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and is affected by the speed at which the spaceship is traveling.

How does time dilation affect spaceship travel?

Time dilation can cause time to pass slower for a spaceship in motion compared to a stationary observer. This means that a shorter amount of time will elapse for the spaceship, while a longer amount of time will pass for the observer. This effect becomes more significant as the spaceship approaches the speed of light.

What is the equation for calculating time dilation in a spaceship?

The equation for calculating time dilation in a spaceship is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t is the time experienced by the stationary observer, t' is the time experienced by the spaceship, v is the velocity of the spaceship, and c is the speed of light.

Can time dilation be observed in real life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in real life through experiments and observations of high-speed objects, such as particles in accelerators and astronauts in space. The effects of time dilation are also taken into account in technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements.

Does time dilation only occur for spaceships?

No, time dilation can occur for any object in motion. However, it is most noticeable for objects traveling at extremely high speeds, such as spaceships, due to the significant difference in time passing for the moving object compared to the stationary observer.