Spacetime explanation to describe non-gravitational forces

In summary, it has not been possible to use distortions in spacetime to describe fundamental forces other than gravity, such as the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, and the weak force. While there is no theoretical reason why this couldn't be done, no one has yet been able to come up with a falsifiable theory that explains all forces as disturbances in a multi-dimensional manifold. Theories such as string theory attempt to do so by incorporating extra dimensions, but their validity is still uncertain.
gulfcoastfella
Gold Member
Why can't distortions in spacetime be used to describe the fundamental forces other than gravity, i.e. the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, and the weak force?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
gulfcoastfella said:
Why can't distortions in spacetime be used to describe the fundamental forces other than gravity, i.e. the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, and the weak force?
Objects with different charge follow different trajectories. You cannot explain that with straight trajectories in curved space time.

gulfcoastfella said:
It's not so much that they "can't" as that nobody has ever invented a theory in which they do. There is no reason in principle why there could not be a theory in which all forces are explained as disturbances in some multi-dimensional manifold. For the disturbances to explain additional forces, I expect the manifold would need more than four dimensions.

But nobody has yet invented a falsifiable theory of that type.

I think string theory tries to explain forces with geometry. Not with 4D space-time, but with 10+D space with 6D compactified Calabi Yau space. Don't ask me what all this means though.

The Kaluza-Klein theory attempted to include ElectroMagnetism into the 4D space of Relativity by adding a 5th dimension. The various string theories attempt to extend this idea further.

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum. This concept was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How does spacetime explain non-gravitational forces?

In physics, all forces are thought to be caused by the curvature of spacetime. Non-gravitational forces, such as electromagnetic and nuclear forces, are explained by the interaction of particles with the curvature of spacetime. This interaction results in the exchange of particles, which creates the force between objects.

3. Can you provide an example of how spacetime explains a non-gravitational force?

An example of how spacetime explains a non-gravitational force is the electromagnetic force between two charged particles. The particles exchange photons, which are particles that travel through spacetime, causing a force between them. This force is explained by the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of the charged particles.

4. How does the concept of spacetime differ from the traditional understanding of space and time?

The traditional understanding of space and time is that they are separate and independent dimensions. However, the concept of spacetime combines them into a single entity, where the curvature of spacetime is affected by the presence of mass and energy. This allows for a more unified understanding of the physical world.

5. Is the concept of spacetime widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the concept of spacetime is widely accepted in the scientific community and is a fundamental aspect of modern physics. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and is an essential part of our understanding of the universe.